How to connect a microscope to a monitor

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
jackieone

How to connect a microscope to a monitor

#1 Post by jackieone » Sat Nov 25, 2023 1:38 am

So, I found small monitors - about 10" - used with security cameras, or for gaming or for Raspberry Pi. Here's an example: Haiway 10.1 inch Security Monitor, https://a.co/d/7L0uxBl
And, I found a microscope camera: https://a.co/d/fAfEcBu

So, my question is: do these two go together to provide me a way to see what's in the microscope, and take pictures/videos of what I see?

A monitor like this will fit my budget and workspace, where a laptop will not.

I'm really not sure about the software required, or if it's already in the monitor, or not. Or is it an app I can use to make the camera work with the monitor?

Any information/advice is welcomed. Much thanks.

Alexander

Re: How to connect a microscope to a monitor

#2 Post by Alexander » Sat Nov 25, 2023 5:25 am

To connect a camera to a monitor both need at least the same interface. Your Monitor is HDMI and your camera USB.

jackieone

#3 Post by jackieone » Sat Nov 25, 2023 4:39 pm

Thanks! I was speaking with a friend last night who got into the details, and I see that my line of thinking was off track.
Appreciate the observation. I didn't know.

Hobbyst46

#4 Post by Hobbyst46 » Sat Nov 25, 2023 9:17 pm

Also note that the listed camera lacks a 0.5X reducing lens, which likely will provide a much wider FOV than without it,
and that the FPS is relatively low at high quality video. I would prefer USB 3 rather than USB 2, if choosing an eyepiece camera.
The listed camera appears to be bundled with a control software, probably a version of Toupview.

PeteM

#5 Post by PeteM » Sun Nov 26, 2023 7:18 am

Try Googling "how do I connect a monitor to my ____ cell phone."

Then, as explained before, consider using a previous generation cell phone camera (free to $50), an extra eyepiece ($25), a cell phone holder ($20) permanently attached to that eyepiece, and a remote release (maybe $15). It will be a significantly better camera, with less lag in video, and provide images much closer in size to what you see through the eyepieces -- at about the same cost as a 3mp USB 2 camera.

Should you ever get a high quality used microscope that wants eyepiece corrections, it will handle that as well.

HDMI cameras and, as Hobbyist says, USB 3 cameras with photo relay lenses are also options since the microscope you're considering doesn't require corrections. However, you'll spend more to get equivalent quality.

jackieone

#6 Post by jackieone » Wed Nov 29, 2023 2:20 am

Thanks for all the information! Wow! This is wonderful help for a new enthusiast :-)

PeteM: yes, I have purchased an adapter for my iPhone (the one reviewed by Oliver), and I'm going to look tomorrow in the box at the top of the closet for one of my previous iPhone models to use, as suggested. I think I even have some of the remotes in that box! It makes more sense, because I can just airdrop the photos and videos to my Mac, and hopefully make some videos to post.

My new purchase hasn't arrived yet, so I'm anticipating trying all this out in the very near future!

Nubee-70

#7 Post by Nubee-70 » Thu Dec 21, 2023 8:08 pm

This may help to give ideas for a DIY mobile phone monitor (saved and later shown on computer monitor).
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=19318&p=140326#p140326