A microscope for Christmas….

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
Scoper

A microscope for Christmas….

#1 Post by Scoper » Fri Dec 08, 2023 2:41 am

I was just asked by a friend what microscope I would recommend for Christmas.

Concerning the next question that is always raised “What is the budget?”…let us just say they want value for the money spent for a family experience

So what microscopes would you recommend for low-middle-high budgets?

Thanks

Scarodactyl

Re: A microscope for Christmas….

#2 Post by Scarodactyl » Fri Dec 08, 2023 5:01 am

A stereo microscope. Smz-1b, 2b, smz-10, sz7, any wild, leica ms5, olympus sz 3045, 4045 etc

Polymerase

#3 Post by Polymerase » Fri Dec 08, 2023 6:31 am

Apart from the question of how much money spent, I think the most relevant question is what it is going to be used for. A stereo microscope is probably more instantly rewarding, but is unsuitable for smaller, more transparent objects. What is its intended use?
Do you wish to study insects, seeds, surfaces, circuit boards etc?
Do you wish to see algae, protozoans, amoeba etc?
Tissue sections? Smears? Intracellular parasites? Tissue reactions to pathogens and their morphologic changes?
Live specimens? Stained sections? Buying or making specimens?

Who is going to use it, why, and for what purpose?

If claryfying needs and expectations, it is much easier to point in the right direction. Budget is not everything.

Scarodactyl

#4 Post by Scarodactyl » Fri Dec 08, 2023 6:58 am

Polymerase wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2023 6:31 am
Apart from the question of how much money spent, I think the most relevant question is what it is going to be used for.
Absolutely. If there's no strong direction a stereo is a good general purpose scope that's easy to use and practical (splinter removal). But it's not good for hunting tardigrades.

Topcode

#5 Post by Topcode » Fri Dec 08, 2023 3:50 pm

Scarodactyl wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2023 6:58 am
Polymerase wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2023 6:31 am
Apart from the question of how much money spent, I think the most relevant question is what it is going to be used for.
Absolutely. If there's no strong direction a stereo is a good general purpose scope that's easy to use and practical (splinter removal). But it's not good for hunting tardigrades.
Well, given that tardigrades are rather large, and where they live, I would say a stereoscope is actually pretty decent for hunting them. But for diatoms, algae, cyanobacteria, cilliates, flagellates, that kinda stuff, a stereoscope definitely struggles a bit when compared to a more standard compound microscope.

einman

#6 Post by einman » Fri Dec 08, 2023 5:22 pm

I believe a stereoscope would be a better first investment, especially for children. My experience has been that children quickly become bored with a compound scope if they can not see "something" immediately. In addition a compound scope tends to require a bit more prep for samples. Whereas with a stereoscope, you can run out and grab just about anything.

Depending on the stereoscope you can see tardigrades as well as a many other microorganisms, albeit not to the same degree of resolution etc.

Insects, a favorite of most children and adults alike are easily placed under a stereoscope yielding incredible views!

I would definitely go with a stereoscope initially.