Tools for dissecting really tiny spiders and insects

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
Sinar

Tools for dissecting really tiny spiders and insects

#1 Post by Sinar » Wed Dec 20, 2023 7:20 pm

I found a dead little spider, only about 3mm in size, I want to make permanent slides from his legs and other parts, I have a dissecting kit but even the finest scissors, tweezers and probes are far too big to take apart the tiny parts, I’m using a stereo microscope to aid dissection, is it possible to buy really fine dissecting tools (hopefully at a reasonable price)? Any suggestions on how to go about this appreciated.

Leitzcycler

Re: Tools for dissecting really tiny spiders and insects

#2 Post by Leitzcycler » Wed Dec 20, 2023 8:38 pm

I used micro spring scissors for dissecting. I purchased mine from here https://www.finescience.com/en-US/Produ ... ors?pg=all
You may also find them in Ebay for much less price. However I don't know about the quality.

Hobbyst46

#3 Post by Hobbyst46 » Wed Dec 20, 2023 10:33 pm

You might try very fine syringe hypodermic needles. They go by gauge number, #33 is the finest I ever met, but #27 (and maybe grades #28-#30 too) are easy to find (on eBay, etc). The tip of a hypodermic needle is actually a tiny blade. Another useful very thin utensil, though not a blade, is the needle used for acupuncture. Used ones can perhaps be freely obtained from a clinic.

ddy5

#4 Post by ddy5 » Thu Dec 21, 2023 2:15 pm

A simple technique for making very fine tip needles: https://microwiki.org/wiki/index.php/Tu ... ten_probes

A battery works fine as the DC source, but you don't have easy control of the voltage. You can easily get any tip size by varying the etching time and the depth the wire is dipped into in the solution.

KOH is corrosive, so be careful using it.

Sinar

#5 Post by Sinar » Thu Dec 21, 2023 6:59 pm

Hobbyst46 wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 10:33 pm
You might try very fine syringe hypodermic needles. They go by gauge number, #33 is the finest I ever met, but #27 (and maybe grades #28-#30 too) are easy to find (on eBay, etc). The tip of a hypodermic needle is actually a tiny blade. Another useful very thin utensil, though not a blade, is the needle used for acupuncture. Used ones can perhaps be freely obtained from a clinic.
Thanks, I’ve ordered some 30g.

Phill Brown

#6 Post by Phill Brown » Fri Dec 22, 2023 12:48 pm

000 sable brushes are worth trying for moving things with minimal damage.

TonyT

#7 Post by TonyT » Sat Dec 23, 2023 2:28 pm

Simpler to mount the entire subject
LINK
New Brunswick
Canada