Omax vs. Swift380T

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
cinklings

Omax vs. Swift380T

#1 Post by cinklings » Sun Jan 14, 2024 6:07 pm

Hi. I brought an Omax 2000X LED binocular microscope a while ago. I have struggled to see any life bacteria on it, and I can't seem to get very clear images much on any of the higher magnifications. I was looking at the Swift 380T, but I wasn't sure if there would be a huge difference in the quality and versatility of the microscope or if I just need to practise more using the one I have? Is the swift a better microscope?

Thank you in advance

apochronaut

Re: Omax vs. Swift380T

#2 Post by apochronaut » Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:19 pm

In buying the Omax, you purchased a basic microscope which should be useable with it's supplied 4 objectives and the 10X eyepieces. The 3 lower magnification objectives should function well with relative ease. The 100X objective takes a little practice and you must have immersion oil to get a decent image. The 20X eyepieces are essentially useless on such an instrument for high magnification and are only there to dupe buyers into thinking that they will have 2000X magnification. Even a microscope costing 10 times as much cannot do 2000X with any quality in the image. Don't use the 20X eyepieces, except with the 2 lower magnification objectives.
If you are struggling with the Omax, buying a more expensive model such as the 380T that basically does the same thing isn't going tol improve things.

First though : are you 100% sure that the microscope is functioning properly? It illuminates the slide evenly and brightly enough and the condenser is adjusted?
The best thing to do is read some introductory books on setting up and using a microscope. Stick with the 3 lower magnification objectives until you get the feel of the instrument.
Once you do, following written instructions, try the oil immersion objective.

You can't see much in the way of bacteria with an ordinary inexpensive light microscope. At 400X you will just barely, if the illumination and slide set up is good. You can view a lot of other larger organisms though, especially from pond or stagnant water.