which is the better microscope ?

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
dustcritter

which is the better microscope ?

#1 Post by dustcritter » Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:00 pm

Hey guys so im pretty new to microscopes due to only ever using a toy one as a kid and was very disapointed.

im looking for a microscope i can see blood, swabs of cheek, animal seman, plant cells, pond life

am i right in thinking i need a compound microscope ?

i am looking to spend between £100 - £200 i know its not much but i have narrawed it down to 2 choices
a microscope from the Apex range like the The Apex Practitioner or The Apex Researcher

or another model from the AMscope range but im not sure which is best for what i need it for as its a new hobby i want to get into

gekko

Re: which is the better microscope ?

#2 Post by gekko » Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:48 pm

Welcome to the forum! I am sure microscope will prove to be a very rewarding hobby. For what it is worth, if I were living the UK and if I wanted to buy a new microscope, I would consider one from Brunel as they have an excellent reputation.

75RR

#3 Post by 75RR » Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:52 pm

Good advice from gekko.
You may also want to have a look at the AmScope T490B if you can stretch your budget a little more, particularly if you are thinking of taking photographs.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

dustcritter

#4 Post by dustcritter » Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:33 pm

thanks for that guys :). im not really into taking pictures i just want it as a hobby for the time being. are AmScope microscopes all good then from £100 upwards ?

dustcritter

#5 Post by dustcritter » Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:44 pm

whats the "brunel SP27 Monocular" like ?

75RR

#6 Post by 75RR » Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:49 pm

Unless someone has used a particular microscope it is difficult to recommend one except in general terms.
Several forum members have bought Amscope and are happy with them as are those that have bought from Brunel.
In an ideal world one would try a microscope before buying. Unfortunately that is difficult to do unless there is a Microscope shop or a microscopist society nearby.

Have a look at this link for first time buyers advice. Also have a look at the main page and the many articles at that site.
http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/dww/novice/choice.htm
http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/
Last edited by 75RR on Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

JimT

#7 Post by JimT » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:20 pm

Dustcritter, I have the Amscope B120C which is a binocular scope. I strongly recommend a binocular over a monocular scope. Two eyes really are better than one.

Don't hesitate to ask questions and by all means read the Home page articles on buying a scope.