Adapters for cellphones and point-and-shoots

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
p3aul

Adapters for cellphones and point-and-shoots

#1 Post by p3aul » Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:38 am

Does anyone use these? Which do you prefer? I have seen this one on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Riflesc ... microscope

It looks like it will work for both a point-and-shoot or a cell phone.

I'm not looking for perfection here. I don't have a DSLR anymore nor do I have a Nikon or Olympus microscope. It's a chinese Trinocular and I love it.
I have a microscope camera from Amscope but when I came back to the hobby after about 5 years I called and they no longer carry the camera nor software to download, so I guess it's useless unless anyone has the driver and software for the MD600E and would share it.

I figured I could get one of these adapters to use until I can save the money for a microscope camera.
Thanks for your advice!
Paul
Paul Microscope: Amscope T400b Camera: Amscope MU300
Telescope: Orion xt6 classic Dob, Zhumell z10 classic Dob

rnabholz

Re: Adapters for cellphones and point-and-shoots

#2 Post by rnabholz » Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:42 am

I am shooting almost exclusively with my phone these days, and use that digiscoping adapter along with this adapter for the cell phone:

Cellphone Adapter For Tripods - Compatible With Most Smartphones https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NVKM12G/re ... JwbVFMEV1H

I find the set up to be very capable. Once set for your rig, using it is as simple as clamping it on the eyepiece, and occasionally making very minor adjustments to center the lens over the eyepiece, takes at most 30 seconds, and generally will not need readjustment until you remove and remount the phone.

I have also used the digiscoping adapter with a compact cameras to excellent effect as well.

I find it an excellent solution for capturing images thorough the scope.

Let me know if you have questions

Rod
Attachments
sonyprofile.jpg
sonyprofile.jpg (59.8 KiB) Viewed 4596 times

p3aul

#3 Post by p3aul » Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:46 am

Thanks for the reply! I like the one on your scope in the attachment. Do you know which one that is. Can you get it on Amazon? can you make small adjustments with those screws or is it just slide it around until it's in place?

rnabholz

#4 Post by rnabholz » Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:00 am

p3aul wrote:Thanks for the reply! I like the one on your scope in the attachment. Do you know which one that is. Can you get it on Amazon? can you make small adjustments with those screws or is it just slide it around until it's in place?
The one in the pic is an older one, the company that marketed it no longer does. There are many companies that make and market essentially the same thing. I have ordered another generic on since through eBay, paid about $15 and it is fine. Pick one on Amazon with good reviews and go for it.

Yes, you make small fine position adjustments using the two axis adjustment knobs, that was the process I mentioned in my post. Easy Peasy

Rod

zzffnn

#5 Post by zzffnn » Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:52 pm

That one, as Rod mentioned, is convenient to use. But in my hands, getting it perfectly centered is not very easy (not too difficult either - I used it with a 46mm lens and micro 4/3 camera). Cellphone camera may be much easier to center.

p3aul

#6 Post by p3aul » Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:29 pm

How do you know how far back from the eyepiece to place the camera? I know you have to focus the scope first, does the camera autofocus on the image in the eyepiece?
thanks

zzffnn

#7 Post by zzffnn » Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:47 pm

That adapter has a knob to move camera back and forth till image fills the entire camera frame. Yes, camera may be able to auto focus sometimes, when there is enough light. When there is not, you can manual focus if there is such an option.

rnabholz

#8 Post by rnabholz » Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:54 pm

p3aul wrote:How do you know how far back from the eyepiece to place the camera? I know you have to focus the scope first, does the camera autofocus on the image in the eyepiece?
thanks
You have to do some experimentation.

First consideration with a compact cameras is the extension of the lens when the camera is powered up. You have to be far enough back to accommodate that. Usually no problem, you should have plenty of space between the lens and eyepiece.

Now take a look at the screen. Is the image centered and presenting an evenly lit field? If not, you use the mount adjustment knobs to move the camera to center and illuminate the field evenly.

If the field does not extend the height of the screen, you need to move the camera closer to the eyepiece.

For focus, I would first focus the image using the camera to get close and then turn off the cameras autofocus. From then on, I watch the screen and focus with the scope. It is best to control the focus point manually using the scope as the camera probably will not select the correct focus point in such a limited depth of focus environment. Further, if your camera uses an IR focus assist light, obviously it will be of no use, and likely cause confusion in the autofocus system and prevent quick focus.

Depending on the design of your camera's lens, you may be able to use your zoom to magnify the image, even filling your entire sensor. The key is that you don't want to crash the lens into the eyepiece if your lens extends when you zoom.

Rod

Dale

#9 Post by Dale » Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:37 am

Kim, the moderator, has a fantastic article on microphotography with a hdd lens over the cellphone
camera lens. His results are fantastic. I have not figured out how to hold the hdd lens securely in place,
but I have not tried hard enough. My phone camera is one of the worst, but overall this seems to be an
unexplored field.
B&L Stereozoom 4. Nikon E600. AO Biostar 1820.