Cleaning eyepiece and objective lenses

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
p3aul

Cleaning eyepiece and objective lenses

#1 Post by p3aul » Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:57 am

Is there a locally available cleaner I can use that is safe and effective? I have some cleaners made for eyeglasses and some for computer screens, but I suspect that they are mostly just alcohol/water and ammonia mixes. I hesitate to use either because of the possibility of damaging the lense. I'm just talking about the top and bottom lens of the EP and the bottom of the objective lense. I would never take them apart to clean them.
Thanks,
Paul
Paul Microscope: Amscope T400b Camera: Amscope MU300
Telescope: Orion xt6 classic Dob, Zhumell z10 classic Dob

p3aul

Re: Cleaning eyepiece and objective lenses

#2 Post by p3aul » Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:05 am

Will anybody post? :(

gekko

#3 Post by gekko » Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:33 am

Paul, welcome to the forum. The following link hopefully will answer your question:
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=2029&p=15978&hilit ... abs#p15978

zzffnn

#4 Post by zzffnn » Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:30 pm

Some telescope or camera shops may help you for free.

Water / alcohol mix is a safe choice, if it contains nothing else and is removed quickly. Or just blow air from your mouth for easy clean-ups.

charlie

#5 Post by charlie » Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:45 pm

I have read of professionals that clean their objectives only annually. Amateurs over clean, clean improperly and/or often damage optics.

That said, see if this helps:

http://microscopy.duke.edu/downloads/Th ... scsope.pdf

p3aul

#6 Post by p3aul » Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:46 pm

Thanks for all the advice! I was beginning to think this was an Amish site and I was being "Shunned"! ;)
I tried several searches and all I came up with was my own post! Apparently I was not doing it right I guess. Walmart sells those Zeiss cleaning wipes, but they smell like pure Alcohol to me and I was afraid to use them. I bought something from Walmart recently called Shields Lens cleaner but it smell like ammonia to me. I haven't heard of anyone using ammonia on lenses before.

I know cleans lens are a must and mine I know have dust on then. Would just a quick wipe with a little alcohol on a cotton swab be alright?

I'm going to bookmark those links ya'll gave me in case I can't find them again!

gekko

#7 Post by gekko » Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:43 pm

Sometimes people don't notice a post when it is followed by many new posts. The most important thing is not to rub any dust or dirt into the lens. First I would use an ear syringe followed by a lens brush to get rid of loose dust before using, if still necessary, any moistened cloth or lens paper (never use ery), and wip very gently. The first link has a thorough discussion on the subject by various forum members as well as links to helpful sites.

p3aul

#8 Post by p3aul » Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:08 am

Thanks! You know I've tried several different things ya'll recommended and have gotten a lot of the dust off but can't seem to get it sparkling clean like it was when I unpacked the box. Since it's a binocular scope I have four EP's and they all need cleaning. I don't use it as a Binocular, but have a 10x in one and the 20x in the other so when I need more Mag I just move to the other EP. The 10x just to get in the ballpark with my 40x objective, then switch to the 20x for 800 power. I don't usually need the 100x with the oil and in my opinion 2000x is just ridiculous in a light microscope.

So my solution s going to be to order another brand new 20x. It should be clean when I get it and I'll take better care of it next time!

gekko

#9 Post by gekko » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:35 am

You might want to get a 60x dry objective to use in place of the 100x oil, the use 10x eyepieces in both eyetubes. Using higher eyepiece magnification does not show you more (does not increase resolution) whereas using a higher power objective does. I use a dust cover to try to keep the optics clean.

75RR

#10 Post by 75RR » Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:56 pm

p3aul wrote:... have gotten a lot of the dust off but can't seem to get it sparkling clean like it was when I unpacked the box.
What did you use to clean it?
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

p3aul

#11 Post by p3aul » Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:42 pm

I used the Zeiss Lens Cleaning Wipes That Walmart sells in their Vision Store. They have the Zeiss logo so I guess Zeiss sells them to clean their lenses.

p3aul

#12 Post by p3aul » Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:47 pm

Gekko, I understand your reasoning, and I agree, but I am satisfied with the 20x It does some more detail and I have seen chromosomes with 800x

75RR

#13 Post by 75RR » Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:22 pm

I used the Zeiss Lens Cleaning Wipes That Walmart sells in their Vision Store. They have the Zeiss logo so I guess Zeiss sells them to clean their lenses.
Those are for sunglasses.

Best to follow the instructions in the Zeiss "The clean Microscope " booklet. (Only 13 pages and that includes the front cover)

i.e. cotton wool + washing up liquid to remove water soluble dirt
or cotton wool + petroleum ether (also known as benzine or rubbing alcohol) if not water soluble

p3aul

#14 Post by p3aul » Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:58 pm

75RR: Just what is Petroleum Ether? I have never heard of that here in US. I have heard it said that it was Lighter Fluid(naptha) also. I know that Rubbing Alcohol is Isopropyl Alcohol. Alcohol and Benzene are not the same, at least in the US. In Europe it may be different.

75RR

#15 Post by 75RR » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:31 pm

gekko suggests using Zippo lighter fluid, see link in third post.
I normally use isopropanol, but am on the lookout for Zippo lighter fluid.

The booklet itself recommends: (see last page)
Recipe for Optical Cleaning Solution L from Carl Zeiss
Recipe: 85 % petroleum ether, 15 % isopropanol.

http://www.zippo.com/pdf/Zippo%20Lighte ... Europe.pdf

gekko

#16 Post by gekko » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:30 am

I'm no expert. I think it would be better to follow the advice given by apochronaut or that in the Zeiss booklet. For what it is worth, I do use Zippo lighter fluid, mostly but not exclusively to clean immersion oil, and although I never had any problems, it is best to follow the recommendation of the objective maker, if available. I've seen old instructions from Zeiss and Leitz variously recommending and proscribing the use of both alcohol and acetone. I suspect that some solvents may damage objective seals or cements, depending on the period the objective was manufactured. I think that it would safe to use the Zeiss cleaning fluid: I use this regularly and find it effective and have never had trouble with it: http://www.amazon.com/Zeiss-Lens-Care-P ... s+cleaning and it is inexpensive (an 8-oz bottle will last a very long time with normal usage).

JimT

#17 Post by JimT » Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:21 am

I use "Sparkle" optical lens cleaner which is sold by Amscope and Kimtech wipes (both sold on Amazon). Mostly I leave the lenses alone.

For my oil immersion obj. I use lighter fluid (naphtha) but I almost never use the 100X oil immersion obj. Instead I use my dry 60X obj.

I think you will prefer adding objectives Vs. the 20X eyepieces as they yield empty magnification.

Good luck.

JimT

p3aul

#18 Post by p3aul » Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:37 am

JimT" thanks. I see with plenty enough resolution with my 20x EP giving me great views with 800X on a 40x objective. A 10 and 60 gives only 600x and consequently smaller details, no matter how bright. I've never seen an 80X, although they may make them. Not that I wouldn't mind a 60x objective, which could replace my 100x as I rarely use it.

75RR

#19 Post by 75RR » Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:50 pm

I see with plenty enough resolution with my 20x EP giving me great views with 800X on a 40x objective.
If your 40x objective has an NA (Numerical Aperture) of 0.65, which most do, then the last 150x of that 800x is empty magnification.
In empty magnification though structures appear larger, no additional details are resolved.

Here is a link with a formula for empty magnification:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1812#p13933

wallyrut

#20 Post by wallyrut » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:04 pm

From what I've read, the pros seem to favor xylene for optics cleaning, but I've read people had good results using lighter fluid (which I believe is basically just naptha). I've been using Ronsonol brand lighter fluid to clean oil off the oil lens and slides, and for optics cleaning generally and it has worked well for me. It seems especially good at cleaning without leaving streaks or residue. I've heard that alcohol doesn't do a good job of dissolving oil, and it has been my experience that alcohol tends to smear the oil around without removing it very well, although I have also read recommendations to use alcohol.

p3aul

#21 Post by p3aul » Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:06 am

Wallrut: After reviewing all the posts, links, and internet searches, most of them swear by every liquid under the sun with several unheard of names for each liquid! Most companies will not reveal what their cleaners contain even in their MDSS. Lowes says their Xylene(Xylol) will remove paint and dissolve plastics(this is supposed to be a feature!) Also, I gather from all the warnings I read about the only safe cleaner is distilled water and I wonder about that!

the Zeiss Company says that cotton swabs may contain silica which could scratch your lens. I am from South Georgia USA where cotton is grown( and I have picked plenty) and some is processed. I can assure you that raw cotton goes through so many washings that I seriously doubt there would be any silica in there.

Judging from what I've read, I'll use a small amount of Isopropyl Alcohol on a cotton swab. I used it after this discussion started and it seems to have worked just fine.
Paul

p3aul

#22 Post by p3aul » Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:07 am

75RR: I don't understand. I see details just fine at 800X In fact, like I said i have even seen chromosomes at that magnification. so I am happy with it. I think empty magnification is like heat index or wind chill It's all subjective, something for people to bat about because it sounds scientific.

75RR

#23 Post by 75RR » Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:25 am

What the formula does is give you a range of magnification for each objective.
It is one of the reasons why top manufactures have a large selection.
In order to get the most out of 800x you ideally need an NA in the range of 0.75 - 0.85
These are genuine guidelines, and as such it is a good idea not to stray too far from them.
Still, if you are happy with what you are getting then fine.

p3aul

#24 Post by p3aul » Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:48 am

Well My EP's are sparkling clean now. I used the Zeiss Lens cleaning wipes but I did not use that saturated fabric they came with. I'm sure it would have scratched the lens. Instead I first examined the surface of the top and bottom lens with a magnifying glass by holding it at an angle so I could see the surface. The bottom lens was clean so I didn't touch it. The top had some dust so I touched a Q-tip to the saturated tissue and cleaned gently in a spiral going from the center to the edge. I examined again and Lo! no dust!
Again, thanks for your input. I have learned a lot from this thread.