Finally committed - Olympus CH20i

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
allthejunkgenes

Finally committed - Olympus CH20i

#1 Post by allthejunkgenes » Sat May 07, 2016 4:52 pm

Well after being outbid (frequently), told little white lies (I would venture, how can you restore a microscope yourself and not know if the new lens is an appropriate fit for the original model) and such is the want of ebay. I finally found an Olympus CH20i, just waiting to see it the seller accepts my paltry 'poor student' offer.

I downloaded the manual and I like the fact that there are optional accessories for this microscope, that could possibly be hunted down in the future for darkfield or 'cost efficient digital imaging' (hmmm)

As usual the bulb is blown or this one says 'it might be a wire' (god help me if it is my electrical knowledge stops at plugs). But the manual says the bulbs are 6v 2W halogen lamp x 2.

No box, but his feedback says he wraps stuff well and he sells a lot of microscopes. Also lots of empty boxes are on sale.

If anyone has any bad knew for me let me know quick could you so I can retract my bid. :D

75RR

Re: Finally committed - Olympus CH20i

#2 Post by 75RR » Sat May 07, 2016 7:37 pm

Perhaps next time you could give us a heads up before you buy ;)
Hard to say anything without any information.

Only seller I saw on ebay uk had stock photos, claimed not to have a digital camera! Was that your seller?
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

gekko

#3 Post by gekko » Sat May 07, 2016 9:22 pm

If the burnt bulb is the only problem, then I think you got yourself and excellent scope (assuming he accepts your offer). I think you meant to say that the bulb was 6 V, 20 W?

allthejunkgenes

#4 Post by allthejunkgenes » Sun May 08, 2016 2:26 am

Thank you for your posts. He did accept my offer but before I could pay someone bought it at the buy now price. :roll:

I have no luck. yes your right it was the gentleman with no digital camera.

75RR

#5 Post by 75RR » Sun May 08, 2016 7:05 am

yes your right it was the gentleman with no digital camera.
In that case perhaps you were lucky after all.

75RR

#6 Post by 75RR » Sun May 08, 2016 8:01 am

Perhaps some of the forum members can comment on these microscopes - just might be a great deal!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Steindorff-Bi ... Swf-VWW0kG

https://www.ukauctioneers.com/auction_c ... 524ECE4EF4

wmodavis

#7 Post by wmodavis » Sun May 08, 2016 12:18 pm

The second that 75rr listed is an Olympus BH2 BHS with a intermediate vertical illumination which I think is for epi if I'm saying it correctly. I have one of those but with a different add-on illuminator. I also have a BHT model which is my operational one at this present time. My BHS is getting close with more stuff on the way. As a new guy to microscopes I have found that the BH2s are very modular and lots of documentation as well as parts. I think the main difference between the BHT model and the one pictured is that the BHS pictures has a 100 Watt halogen main illumination system sticking out the back of the base and the base is 2-1/2 inches wider and deeper by the depth of the illuminator protruding from the base. I am no authority on this (or most anything else) but think the BHT/BHS were good choices for me. I have added a polarizing unit and am thinking toward using the third peep hole up top for some photomicrography. That is secondary to my ongoing process of learning the basics.

Another positive, at least for me, in the quest for scope & parts is the auction part which I'm finding fun and at the same time challenging as you have found ALLTHEJUNKGENES. Persevere as I think the rewards are there. Just gotta find them.
Bill Davis
Olympus BH-2/BHS and BH-2/BHT both with trinoc head.

allthejunkgenes

#8 Post by allthejunkgenes » Sat May 14, 2016 8:44 pm

Sadly just as he countered my offer and I accepted that. Someone bought the Olympus CH20i for the buy now. :evil:

Ebay is driving me nuts.

mich_al

#9 Post by mich_al » Sun May 15, 2016 2:33 pm

I'm no microscope expert but I do buy lots of used stuff. A guy who 'sells lots of microscopes' and offers one for sale with a very fixable problem (light burn out/wire issue) is very likely not being totally up-front. One will spend more time explaining the issue than it would take to actually fix it. I'd wager on a bulb power supply being shot.

zzffnn

#10 Post by zzffnn » Sun May 15, 2016 3:08 pm

It is always a gamble, especially if you buy from volume dealers.

Many of them buy surplus scopes at auctions and simply relist them. They don't usually have the knowledge or time for repair.

It may or may not be a simply burned bulb. To replace the bulb, you have to know what is compatible and have it in hand. Without knowledge of other parts of the light source, you may waste $5 in bulb and time, if for example power supply is broken.