Using filters

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
Pat Thielen

Using filters

#1 Post by Pat Thielen » Mon May 09, 2016 3:36 pm

Hello,

The condenser on my Motic microscope doesn't seem to have a place to place filters, although there does seem to be a very narrow space that could potentially hold a filter (it would have to be very think). Also, there isn't any mechanism for carrying a filter. So, I'm not sure if it is set up for filters or not. What I'm wondering is this: Can filters be places on the light source under the stage, or do they have to be placed within the condenser? The microscope didn't really come with a Manuel so I still run into questions concerning it every now and then.

Thanks!
Pat Thielen
Motic BA310, C & A Scientific Premiere SMZ-07, Swift Eleven-Ninety, Swift FM-31, Bausch & Lomb VM349, Olympus CHA
Nikon d810

Pat Thielen

Re: Using filters

#2 Post by Pat Thielen » Mon May 09, 2016 3:40 pm

Also, I'm wondering if I could use photographic filters and simply place them over the lamp. Motic does make filters, but I'm really not sure if my phase contrast turret is designed to accommodate them. I'm interested in using different filters for achieving various lighting effects (I can't recall what they're called at the moment but I've seen examples in the forums).
Pat Thielen
Motic BA310, C & A Scientific Premiere SMZ-07, Swift Eleven-Ninety, Swift FM-31, Bausch & Lomb VM349, Olympus CHA
Nikon d810

apatientspider

#3 Post by apatientspider » Mon May 09, 2016 4:07 pm

Sure, you can place filters over your light source - most of them anyway. I'm not sure a patch stop for darkfield would work that way though - probably you'd get COL with it. Best way to find out what you can do is to try it.

Jim

Dale

#4 Post by Dale » Mon May 09, 2016 4:33 pm

Nice scope, just read the manual:

https://www.microscopeworld.com/images/ ... Manual.pdf

your filter holder is under the cap over the field lens. For that, you must
tell me what the egg carton is for? The oneone under the monitor in your
'evil laboratory.'
Dale
B&L Stereozoom 4. Nikon E600. AO Biostar 1820.

zzffnn

#5 Post by zzffnn » Mon May 09, 2016 5:03 pm

Filters can be placed anywhere between light source and condenser lens. Best place is close to condenser lens (that way you use more central part of the condenser lens), or where original iris/filter tray is.

But even directly above light source may work. You can Blutak filters onto microscope slide and Blutak slide under condenser bottom or over light source.

This depends on particular condenser lens design too, based on my experience. For example, using one darkfield condenser for NA 1.3 COL may work much better than the other one.

Oktagon

#6 Post by Oktagon » Mon May 09, 2016 5:30 pm

Vast majority of filters work just fine when placed over the light source. I routinely place 52mm photo polarizing filter over the transmitted light diaphragm ring on the base of the scope and then use rotary analyzer in the Optovar slot to extinguish the image. Works just as well as 32mm filter in the condenser ring, except you dont' have to fiddle with condenser.

gekko

#7 Post by gekko » Mon May 09, 2016 6:55 pm

All of the above: color and polarizing filters can be placed anywhere practical between the light source and condenser. I would like to add that if you put a gelatin filter close to a tungsten or tungsten-halogen bulb (as opposed to LED), the heat may cause the filter to deform. Jim noted that a patch stop for darkfield may not work that well; I would add that the same holds true for a patch used for oblique lighting, Rheinberg filters and other contrast enhancing filters (UFG and similar). Those are best located close to the condenser's iris diaphragm.

Dale

#8 Post by Dale » Mon May 09, 2016 10:01 pm

Is there a good source for those filters?

billbillt

#9 Post by billbillt » Mon May 09, 2016 10:52 pm

Dale wrote:Is there a good source for those filters?
Hi,
Ebay has them in all different prices..

BillT

Dale

#10 Post by Dale » Mon May 09, 2016 11:05 pm

I'll look again, first time did not produce any 40mm.
Dale

billbillt

#11 Post by billbillt » Mon May 09, 2016 11:47 pm

I am not sure if they have any at 40mm.. You can cut some from gel sheets bought there..

BillT

Dale

#12 Post by Dale » Tue May 10, 2016 12:00 am

'Gel sheets', that's the materials name. Thank you.
Dale

Pat Thielen

#13 Post by Pat Thielen » Tue May 10, 2016 2:00 am

Dale wrote:Nice scope, just read the manual:

https://www.microscopeworld.com/images/ ... Manual.pdf

your filter holder is under the cap over the field lens. For that, you must
tell me what the egg carton is for? The oneone under the monitor in your
'evil laboratory.'
Dale

OK -- That is the manual that I wish had come with the microscope. I got this little thing with very little info in it and I just assumed that's all there was. Thanks very much for providing the link to the manual; I downloaded it and will maybe read it someday if I ever get that desperate. :)

And the egg carton (as you deserve an answer for your awesome info): It actually contains small fossils I collected many years ago at Fort Snelling Sate Park. So, stuff you would find in the ocean around 400 million years ago. All the newer fossils have been scraped away by glaciers and so this is about all we have left in this part of Minnesota.
Pat Thielen
Nikon d810

Dale

#14 Post by Dale » Tue May 10, 2016 2:55 am

I just realized my phrasing was a little rude. 'Just read the manual' sounds, um,
patronizing. I really meant that I actually read it, and the occasional misspelling
was hilarious.
Dale

Pat Thielen

#15 Post by Pat Thielen » Tue May 10, 2016 1:23 pm

Dale wrote:I just realized my phrasing was a little rude. 'Just read the manual' sounds, um,
patronizing. I really meant that I actually read it, and the occasional misspelling
was hilarious.
Dale

No worries -- I thought it was very good advice. :)
Pat Thielen
Nikon d810