Hoping for some advise or opinions on Meiji microscope

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
downriverink

Hoping for some advise or opinions on Meiji microscope

#1 Post by downriverink » Sun May 22, 2016 1:26 pm

Hi,

I am considering buying a Meiji EMZ-5TR microscope on a local buy/sell site. They are asking $700. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with this microscope, if anyone might have any thoughts on the quality and price and if it is a recommended unit. Since I don't have very much experience with microscopes, I was also hoping someone might have some suggestions on what to ask the seller.

My main uses will be for botany purposes but I also hope to start photographing and filming more microbes.

Thanks for any help you can provide :)

D~
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (17.35 KiB) Viewed 2271 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (13.89 KiB) Viewed 2271 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (13.89 KiB) Viewed 2271 times

Charles

Re: Hoping for some advise or opinions on Meiji microscope

#2 Post by Charles » Sun May 22, 2016 2:19 pm

Hi D,

First let me point out that this Meiji is a stereo microscope with a magnification range from 7X to 45X (with 10X eyepieces). Stereo scopes are ideal for viewing larger objects and not microscopic objects like microbes.

The photo of that Meiji shows it is Trinocular and from the cable, probably has a fiber optic light, but you would need a fiber optic lighting system to light it. If you are actually wanting a stereo scope, have them go through each of the magnifications and ensure it is optically aligned.

The quality of Meiji scopes are usually excellent and the value seems reasonable. I find comparable Meiji EMZ-5TR selling for around $1500.

lorez

Re: Hoping for some advise or opinions on Meiji microscope

#3 Post by lorez » Sun May 22, 2016 2:24 pm

If you have a chance to inspect the microscope you should look at the lens surfaces as well as the images. If you have nothing with which to compare it is difficult to assess the quality, but if it seems clear and sharp you are probably OK. Also check the zoom for parfocality. Take a variety of specimens that you suspect may have some interesting microscopic detail.

These are very well constructed instruments so focusing should be smooth. If not, check the rack and pinion for damage.

It looks like it has a fiberoptic ring illuminator, but the light box is not shown.

The focusing block appears to have both coarse and fine focusing controls. That is a feature that is not found on most stereo scopes.

It also is missing the tube for the triocular port so something will be necessary to connect the camera.

IF it had all the pieces I think it would be a good buy.

lorez