Help with increasing tension in Zeiss WL condenser carrier

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
hb2sbdb

Help with increasing tension in Zeiss WL condenser carrier

#1 Post by hb2sbdb » Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:27 pm

Hi,

I hope someone here familiar with the Zeiss WL/universal condenser carrier can tell me how to increase the tension for the UP/DOWN position.
(controlled by the knob from the bottom picture).

My problem is that the tension is too loose that even the weight of my condenser would bring it down from the original position.

There are a few screws within this part, but none of them can easily be moved. I think I better get some advice from someone who knows before trying in anything with..brute force.

Thank you in advance!

Charles

Re: Help with increasing tension in Zeiss WL condenser carrier

#2 Post by Charles » Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:57 pm

You will need a slim flat tip screw driver for the part circled in blue and a pin spanner wrench for the part circled in red. You will need to hold one still as you tighten the other.
Zeiss Carrier.jpg
Zeiss Carrier.jpg (39.19 KiB) Viewed 6358 times

gekko

#3 Post by gekko » Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:57 pm

Disclaimer: I am by no means an expert on this, but it occurs to me that you may want to make sure that the dovetails are not completely dry of grease, and if necessary grease them before tightening it as this may affect the tightness. If completely dry, I would apply heavy damping grease sparingly to the dovetails, but not to the rack or pinion (those should be clean and dry). At least that is what I think I know, but perhaps you might want to wait until someone corrects or confirms what I said before proceeding.

hb2sbdb

#4 Post by hb2sbdb » Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:35 am

Thank you very much Charles! Really appreciate you fast reply, especially took time to mark on the picture, which is really helpful for someone like me! :)

Interesting point from Gekko, I did not thought about adding more grease before (thinking it may make it even "more loose"), but "damping grease" may be what it needs...

Now I just need to find out what kind of grease I'm having around, and what a "pin spanner wrench" looks like, and if I can get one in local Sears or Home Depot...

Thanks!

Charles

#5 Post by Charles » Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:44 am

I don't know if you can find something similar in a hardware store but you may find one at a camera store. Or on ebay look for Camera filter spanner. Here is what they look like (Circled in red)
03The Tools.jpg
03The Tools.jpg (39.73 KiB) Viewed 6338 times

gekko

#6 Post by gekko » Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:53 am

hb2sbdb, just to be clear: I did not mean to "add more grease" if there is a thin coat of grease already. But if it is completely dry, I think greasing the dovetails is necessary regardless of whether it is too loose or too stiff, and if completely dry, I would add a thin coat of grease and move it up and down to spread the grease before adjusting the tension. Again, there are experts here who may want to correct what I said.

zzffnn

#7 Post by zzffnn » Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:20 am

hb2sbdb, welcome to the forum.

I suggest to try Charles' recommendation first.

The lack of tension that you described seems too much to be corrected by damping grease (which is only for very fine tuning of tension, if original grease amount is not optimal). I had similar problems with scope focus tension before and finding/correcting the tension knobs always worked in my case.

gekko

#8 Post by gekko » Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:27 am

zzffnn, I don't think you read carefully what I wrote :) .

apatientspider

#9 Post by apatientspider » Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:49 am

hb2sbdb wrote:........ and what a "pin spanner wrench" looks like, and if I can get one in local Sears or Home Depot...

Thanks!
If you can't find a pin spanner wrench, you might be able to substitute a pair of snap ring pliers. In a real pinch a pair of sharp pointed needle nose pliers will sometimes work. Even a household fork might be made to work. Also, if Sears or Home Depot or the like don't have what you need, you should try a good auto parts store; they have all kinds of odd tools.

Jim

hb2sbdb

#10 Post by hb2sbdb » Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:31 am

Thank you everybody! I think I'm a lot...smarter :D now on this subject, comparing to just a few hours ago, at my first post.

This is truly a great forum! The members here are not just providing expert help, but also showing a level or care that not easily found anywhere.

I have been collecting a few microscopes over the last few years, but don't spend enough time "playing" with them. I've been lurking this forum for awhile, and really enjoy reading/viewing other experiences. I hope that after spending more time fiddle with my microscopes, I will have something to share with this wonderful community soon.

Regards,

75RR

#11 Post by 75RR » Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:26 pm

If you can't find a pin spanner wrench, you might be able to substitute a pair of snap ring pliers. In a real pinch a pair of sharp pointed needle nose pliers will sometimes work. Even a household fork might be made to work.
Worth taking the time to find the right tool. This is not a lawnmower you are working on!
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

gekko

#12 Post by gekko » Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:25 pm

75RR wrote:
If you can't find a pin spanner wrench, you might be able to substitute a pair of snap ring pliers. In a real pinch a pair of sharp pointed needle nose pliers will sometimes work. Even a household fork might be made to work.
Worth taking the time to find the right tool. This is not a lawnmower you are working on!
I may be wrong, but I actually thought that the snap ring pliers would make an excellent tool for the purpose assuming they fit the holes; I think they would be less likely to slip and damage the finish than even a pin spanner wrench since their tips are usually flared rather than pointed.

KurtM

#13 Post by KurtM » Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:21 pm

I'm a big believer is using the right tool for the job. But I'm also a big believer in "git-r-done". Yes, the chief danger in using improper tools is causing damage and/or marring finishes, but this can be avoided with good judgement.
hb2sbdb wrote:I have been collecting a few microscopes over the last few years...
Please do tell (better yet, more pics)! :shock: :)
Cheers,
Kurt Maurer
League City, Texas
email: ngc704(at)gmail(dot)com
https://www.flickr.com/photos/67904872@ ... 912223623/

lorez

#14 Post by lorez » Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:41 pm

but I actually thought that the snap ring pliers would make an excellent tool for the purpose assuming
Having shared your thoughts, a long time ago, I tried it. I discovered that the snap ring pliers are a light duty device designed to open a spring and not for rotational torque. I have a variety of spanner / pin wrenches. Some are designed for a specific purpose that is frequently recurring and some are adjustable. The right tool is worth every penny of the investment.

I agree with all the good suggestions offered.

lorez

hb2sbdb

#15 Post by hb2sbdb » Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:22 am

Just to give my update to the forum:

I was able to adjust the tension with a snap ring pliers that I have ready at my disposal :)
I realized that it was not the best tool for the job, but luckily the part was pretty loose, so not much effort was needed for the rotational force.

Thank you again to everyone for helping! I'll try to share my scope pictures in the appropriate forums