Wild M20 Binocular Microscope Source or Restoration Group?

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
Matt in Virginia

Wild M20 Binocular Microscope Source or Restoration Group?

#1 Post by Matt in Virginia » Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:48 am

Hello Everyone,
Absolutely fascinating discussions taking place here... That said I don't think "beginner" really covers it in my case. I am a terrible newbie. That said I would be forever grateful to find any recommendation toward a clean or restored Wild M20. I've wanted one for a number of years, however, there has always been something else dictating my budget. Those things are still around, unfortunately, however I would like to start looking again. Any input would be greatly appreciated...

Best Regards, Matt
Chesapeake, Virginia
757-581-6270

Charles

Re: Wild M20 Binocular Microscope Source or Restoration Group?

#2 Post by Charles » Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:59 am

Welcome Matt in Chesapeake, VA,

I've put a few Wild together:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2409

There is also a Wild forum in the Yahoo groups:
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Wil ... s/messages

And ebay is a good start for looking for one.

Matt in Virginia

#3 Post by Matt in Virginia » Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:54 pm

Charles,
Thank you for the kind introduction. This seems to be a very upscale forum as forums go. Some internet forums remind me of the old joke: "They asked me if I had any weapons at the door. Of course I told them certainly not. At that point they provided a pistol and brass knuckles and said not to come back unarmed"...(I have the delivery of a coroner). Long story short Thank you..

I have looked at Ebay through the years and the only thing that scares me is that it appears many of the scopes have been cannibalized to keep other scopes running. What do you gentle folks in the know think about this add short of the engraving/etching?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wild-Heerbrugg- ... 1997294280

I missed my chance at almost new unit in 2008 for $1500 from a French Province in Canada. I was worried about shipping(Customs), however, in retrospect that was one of the dumbest things I have done in a good while and I have some doozies to draw from.

I'm looking for something usable and yet as clean as possible. That microscope borders on modern art to my uneducated eye. I have a thing for most items Swiss...:-). I just feel like I am going into such a purchase blind. Granted with your input, which I would be forever grateful for, maybe I might not be that blind after all. Please do weigh in and don't hold back...

Best Regards, Matt
Chesapeake, Virginia

Charles

#4 Post by Charles » Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:49 pm

Hi Matt,

The one you linked to looks to be a very nice M20 for the price. The stage is square but it is a rotating stage. The objectives are the high end fluotars but I can't tell what the NA of the condenser is. I think it says A=0.95 in one of the pictures. With the 100X 1.30 NA objective, you would think it would have a 1.30 condenser. Ask the seller if you want to be sure but you can always pickup a 1.30 condenser later if needed.

It is 'By it Now' but has a Best Offer. There are 13 people watching it and some have probably put in an offer. You should make him an offer an see how it goes.

Matt in Virginia

#5 Post by Matt in Virginia » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:55 pm

Charles,
Thank you so very much for the input... Have been out of pocket. Will get in touch with the seller if I am not too late.

Regards, Matt.

MicroInspector

#6 Post by MicroInspector » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:22 pm

Welcome welcome Matt

Nice to meet a fellow microscopist.
I think all interest with microscopes.
Some here might be doctors or lab techs
Or even retired biologist or even geography
Come on from what I read your posts I think
some of you might be professors.
Anyway Matt I Hope you love this hobby
because the microscope reveals the truth.
The microscope reveals the truth of life.
Omax M82EZ microscope