Is this normal?

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
justcurious

Is this normal?

#1 Post by justcurious » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:02 am

We bought a Amscope B120B on Amazon and it arrived already put together. I'm not sure if it was a return. I was seeing a lot of debris or something that is present at all magnification levels. After cleaning the eyepiece, objectives, light source and camera lenses, it looks a lot better except the two white spots are still there. Is this normal? Should the background be greenish?

Here is a screen shot at each magnification taken with the MU300.
Attachments
100x no slide.jpeg
100x no slide.jpeg (39.25 KiB) Viewed 4418 times
40x no slide.jpeg
40x no slide.jpeg (36.29 KiB) Viewed 4418 times
10x no slide.jpeg
10x no slide.jpeg (26.55 KiB) Viewed 4418 times
4x no slide.jpeg
4x no slide.jpeg (27.47 KiB) Viewed 4418 times

Oliver

Re: Is this normal?

#2 Post by Oliver » Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:25 am

Hello,
A microscope that is put together is normal.
the white spots appear to be reflections of some light. i assume that the camera takes the placeof one of the eyepieces. cover the second eyepiece, it could be that light entering the second eyepiece causes these reflections. the reflections stay the same regardless of magnification, and therefore I think that this might be a reflection of your room light entering the system somehow.

also raise and lower the condensor and see what happens.

Locate the source of the debris. is it on the camera? rotate the camera, if the dust stays on the same spot, then the dust is on the sensor. if the dust also rotates, then it is on sme other component. for a new microscope, there does seems to be much dust.

The green color is a question of white balance.

Oliver
Image Oliver Kim - http://www.microbehunter.com - Microscopes: Olympus CH40 - Olympus CH-A - Breukhoven BMS student microscope - Euromex stereo - uSCOPE MXII

gekko

#3 Post by gekko » Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:32 pm

Oliver wrote: for a new microscope, there does seems to be much dust.
I agree with Oliver. If I were you I would have them replace it. It may well be a return.

justcurious

#4 Post by justcurious » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:58 am

You are right about the white spots. When I cover the eyepiece, it goes away.

Rotating the camera, also rotates the dust, so it's not on the sensor.

mrsonchus

#5 Post by mrsonchus » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:58 pm

justcurious wrote:You are right about the white spots. When I cover the eyepiece, it goes away.

Rotating the camera, also rotates the dust, so it's not on the sensor.
Hmm - if the 'dust' rotates when you rotate the camera then it will be on the sensor or any lenses (e.g. reduction)
that attach with the camera onto or into the eyepiece. I used to get this problem constantly and think it was simply
from removing an eyepiece for my Toupcam that kept allowing in dust etc. I finally bought a 'scope with a dedicated
phototube.

JB
John B