Nikon SC or YS - Beginner Microscope

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
sandnamek

Nikon SC or YS - Beginner Microscope

#1 Post by sandnamek » Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:51 am

Hi everyone,

I've been watching MH on youtube for a long time and finally decided to start looking for my very own beginner microscope. I'm not looking to spend too much since anything that can show me what I cant with the naked eye is a plus at this point. I found a Nikon SC and a Nikon YS pretty close to me. The price is very similar and it looks like something I can enjoy for a while before I move on to a more system type microscope. Any suggestions on which one is better? From what I have been able to find online , it looks like they're both student type microscopes. I was hoping to spend $300 or less on my 1st microscope and these just happened to present themselves. Am I better off waiting for something else?

Thank you in advance!

Scarodactyl

Re: Nikon SC or YS - Beginner Microscope

#2 Post by Scarodactyl » Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:48 am

I'd go with the alphaphot YS--it's part of the general labophot/optiphot line and objectives and head accessories are compatible, so you can easily collect accessories and objectives on it which can be moved over to a higher end stand if you want to in the future.

If I'm thinking of the right one, the SC is more limited.