A great documentary streaming service

Posts that are not microscopy-related should be placed here.
zzffnn

A great documentary streaming service

#1 Post by zzffnn » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:35 am

I just found a great nature/science/history/culture/travel documentary streaming service called Curiosity Stream.

I signed up today, watched a documentary about President Abraham Lincoln's life with my sons and we all love it VERY much. Only $20 PER YEAR for today (one can cancel anytime). I heard they don't have many National Geographic documentaries, but that Lincoln documentary was made by Nat Geo.

1080p HD content. View it (internet) on computer, on smartphone or smart TV (or connect TV to your computer).

Curiosity Stream told me I need 5-8 Mbps download to view movies smoothly. I tested my mid level (US) Comcast's speed and found it to be about 18Mbps (8:30PM) to 42 Mbps (11AM), which is more than enough to view 1080p HD (I viewed it at 8:30PM).

My TV is not 4K capable, so I did not test that. 4K subscription costs slightly more, but still very cheap. They only have documentaries, though they claim to have 2000 of them.

Strangely, last night I tried their free content before I signed up, streaming speed was so slow that 480p won't even play smoothly. But it could be an error on my internet connection (which can be corrected by restarting modem). Our viewing of 1080p HD today was perfect and never paused for a moment.

I am not associated with Curiosity Stream, but think forum members (naturalist, science geeks or history nerds) would probably like it too. I highly recommend it!

You can get a 7 day free trial, then select monthly subscription, then upgrade to annual subscription, if you want to be really safe. But $20 for a year is a great deal.

Johann

Re: A great documentary streaming service

#2 Post by Johann » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:05 pm

zzffnn wrote:I just found a great nature/science/history/culture/travel documentary streaming service called Curiosity Stream.

I signed up today, watched a documentary about President Abraham Lincoln's life with my sons and we all love it VERY much. Only $20 PER YEAR for today (one can cancel anytime). I heard they don't have many National Geographic documentaries, but that Lincoln documentary was made by Nat Geo.

I subscribed recently as well and can also highly recommend it :)
Omax M837ZL
Olympus BX53
Leica MZ6
My Facebook Page
My YouTube Channel

Sheor19

#3 Post by Sheor19 » Wed May 15, 2019 10:41 am

Thank you for a great recommendation! The price is quite affordable. Any suggestions about what to see first? What documentaries did you like the most, except for Lincoln's life?
To get all the writings done on time could be difficult, but on this site the professionals will help to beat the deadlines easily.

DrPhoxinus

#4 Post by DrPhoxinus » Sat May 25, 2019 4:55 pm

This forum was the deciding factor in my decision.
I teach Genetics and Evolution online.
I wish my students had access to these videos.

Ordering through Amazon was easy.

Gerard

janejane

#5 Post by janejane » Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:31 am

Thank you! I was looking for such service several day! Your recommendation is great
Do you need the greatest lab report hypothesis example?

Sir

#6 Post by Sir » Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:31 pm

https://www.criterion.com/ is another great place for documentaries