Image Stacking Questions

Here you can discuss topics such as focus stacking, stitching and other techniques that relate to the processing of micrographs.
Element 56

Image Stacking Questions

#1 Post by Element 56 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:25 am

I have a dumb question bout image stacking. I am using CombineZP and I'm really struggling with it on some things.

What does the software do with the part of the photos that are out of focus?

I took a series of 9 photos of a part of an artificial heart valve. The section I'm photographing isn't flat so I can only focus on one small area at a time. I intended on doing a stack to show it all in one photo but it just became a blurry mess. I worked at it for a while trying different features of the software but still no luck. This got me wondering what the software does with the areas that are out of focus from each photo. Is there something I'm not understanding that I should be doing before creating the stack? Unfortunately because of the nature of what I'm working on I can't share the photos but if necessary I can take some pictures of an older valve for clarification.

I have had some decent success with diatoms using this software but this particular piece is troublesome.

Any help at all is always greatly appreciated. Thank You!

Kirby

EYE C U

Re: Image Stacking Questions

#2 Post by EYE C U » Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:40 am

the left overs will be best focus..

Element 56

#3 Post by Element 56 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:58 am

EYE C U wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:40 am
the left overs will be best focus..
Not sure I understand your response?

Roldorf

#4 Post by Roldorf » Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:34 am

It doesn't do anything with the parts that are out of focus. It 'copies' the parts of the images that are 'in' focus and combines those 'in focus' parts into a new image.

Unknown Brand: Optika SFX 91: Bresser Science Infinity: Canon 4000d
ImageImage

Element 56

#5 Post by Element 56 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:39 pm

Roldorf wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:34 am
It doesn't do anything with the parts that are out of focus. It 'copies' the parts of the images that are 'in' focus and combines those 'in focus' parts into a new image.
Thanks