an old article about using film scanners to scan slides

Here you can discuss topics such as focus stacking, stitching and other techniques that relate to the processing of micrographs.
shutterbug

an old article about using film scanners to scan slides

#1 Post by shutterbug » Sat Apr 08, 2023 12:20 pm

Today I purchased the film scanner the author is using and while researching it, I stumbled upon this article:

http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/ind ... nolta.html

I think this is a very ingenious idea, though at this day and age with todays cameras it's certainly not that necessary any more.
Still, worth a read and the results for larger specimen are really great, the scanned 'water boatman' (Corixa punctata) slide looks amazing!

zzffnn

Re: an old article about using film scanners to scan slides

#2 Post by zzffnn » Sun Apr 09, 2023 6:46 am

You probably already read Robert Otoole’s review on the scanner lens inside the 5400? https://www.closeuphotography.com/minol ... -5400-lens

It is one of the best for around 1x.

shutterbug

Re: an old article about using film scanners to scan slides

#3 Post by shutterbug » Sun Apr 09, 2023 9:17 am

Yes, of course! That was one of many reasons why I grabbed it hehe :-D

I'm glad I did - I've scanned a few old photos yesterday, the quality is really quite amazing - and once I'm done with that I'm going to take the lens out and use it for photography.

I've actually thought about using it on my microscope just to see what it does, the adapter uses RMS thread so that would be very simple. Should make for an excellent 3.7x-4x 0.13

I'm also going to try and use it with a tube lens, just out of curiosity. Some lenses do well with that, others not so much.