ToupView measure units in mm?

Here you can discuss topics such as focus stacking, stitching and other techniques that relate to the processing of micrographs.
nicholascolding

ToupView measure units in mm?

#1 Post by nicholascolding » Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:56 pm

Hi!
Toupview: calibrating and measure
Then I measure a object, I can only get Toupview to give me a pixelcount, not mm. I changes the units, but the software don´t react.
What to do?

rabitt

Re: ToupView measure units in mm?

#2 Post by rabitt » Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:20 pm

Hi nicholascolding,
I read this and your other posts, don't give up on your camera & ToupView they take excellent videos & photos. Just a long
learning curve. I believe you made an error in the calibration process. Go back and redo the calibration checking off each step
on the way.
Mean while I will review the cal process and get back to you.

Rich B

rabitt

#3 Post by rabitt » Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:53 pm

Just a note,
Go to Camera systems & Imaging, look for 'OMAX 5MP Camera & ToupView Software'..
It might prove worth while learning problems I had with ToupView.

Bruce Taylor

#4 Post by Bruce Taylor » Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:00 pm

nicholascolding wrote:Hi!
Toupview: calibrating and measure
Then I measure a object, I can only get Toupview to give me a pixelcount, not mm. I changes the units, but the software don´t react.
What to do?
I had a similar problem, until I realized that I had to select magnification on the toolbar. I'd set the units properly, changing the default "Pixel" to "Micrometers", but neglected to change the magnification from default "NA" to one of my preset calibrations (10X, 40X, etc).

There are a couple of good videos that will walk you through the whole process:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9fBjG14P5U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8652DG249E

Hope this helps,

Bruce

mrsonchus

#5 Post by mrsonchus » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:35 pm

Hi, I've a little info on my G-Drive about this if it helps - here's the link ->https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-LIc ... XAxVUxuY1k
John B

cuxlander

#6 Post by cuxlander » Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:56 pm

Hello nicholascolding,
When I measure a object, I can only get Toupview to give me a pixelcount, not mm. I changes the units, but the software don´t react.
What to do?
I have the same problem, believing that I did my calibrations properly (many times)
Did you find a solution meanwhile?
Hans

rabitt

#7 Post by rabitt » Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:18 pm

I believe when measuring a photo image the photo must be in .tiff anything else such as .jpg etc. will not measure
correctly. This is with my OMAX 5mp camera & ToupView. Measuring from a video works fine.

Sorry guys I will have to eat CROW on the above which is incorrect. All files bmp, jpg, png, & tif all measure correctly.
Not sure what I did wrong when I first checked this out.

Someone should write a book titled "ToupView For Dummies"

1st AmScope M200B-MS Converted to LED
Camera OMAX A3550U 5mp
2nd AmScope T340B-DK-LED
Last edited by rabitt on Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mrsonchus

#8 Post by mrsonchus » Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:57 pm

I don't think that's correct old chap.
With Toupview and an attached Toupcam the method is as follows,

To Calibrate an objective:-
1) Attach the Toupcam and 'get the live image up on screen' within Tview.
2) Place a calibration slide under your 'scope and focus on it in Tview - this gives
a (focused) set of lines that are a known distance apart and are therefore your reference
for calibration.
3) Set the image view in Tview to 100% (this is VITAL) then select the calibration
option - this brings up a line that may be stretched to exactly from one of the
calibration lines to another - this will of course be a known distance.
4) Set the line to exactly from one line to another and tell Tview the actual
length of the line - e.g. 12 lines of a 0.05mm (between lines) calibration scale will be a line of
actual length of 0.6mm or 600µ...
5) Enter a new name for this calibration (a separate calibration is needed for each objective and
camera combination used) for example if you're calibrating your x4 objective then you may save it
as 'myx4'..
6) You are now ready to measure with the x4 (i.e. the just calibrated) objective.

To measure using the x4 objective:-
1) Place your slide under your 'scope and focus (in Tview) as usual (with the x4 objective in this case).
The picture view size no longer needs to be at 100% (this is only necessary during calibration) - view at
whatever size you like.
2) Select your new (x4) setting in the drop-down that started with 'NA' displayed - so select the setting
(i.e. the new calibration) you previously called 'myx4'. Use the measurement tool (I usually use the
'horizontal line' or the 'arbitrary line' tool to draw a line on the live-vies image between two points to measure,
e.g. across a cell or perhaps along a leg etc...
3) The distance will appear next to the line - choose whatever unit you prefer (any unit will work from the calibration,
it doesn't need to be the same unit used when calibrating, each unit is just another way to express the same value
(distance) after all.

At this point you have the live-view with a measurement layer superimposed upon it.
To save this image (i.e. take the picture) you can now use F8 to save with separate layers for the measurement line
and the image itself.
If you save this now as a TIFF file as a consequence of the F8 press, the measurement and image layers will remain discreet - i.e. not 'flattened' to use a PSE term.
Now, using F2 will save as a jpg and the layers will merge (flatten) into a single image - the finished article you may say..

There's more....... Tview is able to measure images from other cameras too, even though it can't connect to them as it
does to a Toupcam - the image itself from for example my EOS 1200D may still be measured using Tview!

I may make a short video of this process as the above is a little long-winded and may even have a mistake - I've just typed it straight in from memory and haven't checked the procedure over yet - but I think it's correct - please let me kknow if you need clarification or correction and I'll make a 'proper job' of the instructions. I hope this helps a bit.
:)
John B

cuxlander

#9 Post by cuxlander » Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:59 pm

Hello nicholascolding and JohnB,
Problem solved!
I suspected a software snag. So I offloaded my version which came with my Touptect 5.1 Camera and downloaded new from Touptech.
It saved all my settings and the measurements with my old calibrations now show micrometers as wanted.
I'm glad I found the snag as ToupView is a great program.
Regards,
Hans

mrsonchus

#10 Post by mrsonchus » Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:37 pm

Hi again, here's a way to use Toupview to measure images taken with any camera such as a Canon EOS 1200D for example...

With pictures taken with other cameras not recognizable by Toupview, e.g. a picture of a calibration slide taken with my 18mp 1200D - simply open the taken picture in Tview and view at 100% in the same way as a live-view Toupcam image and calibrate a line of known length from there. Save this calibration perhaps as 'Canon x4' and it will be available in the drop-down thereafter.

To use - open a picture taken with the 1200D and x4 (in this example) objective - again no need to view at 100% post-calibration.

Draw a measurement line wherever you need to measure, then, the vital step, go to the 'magnification drop-down' and a list of your set calibrations will come up, with their names to the left and the picture resolutions to the right. In this list you'll see your newly created 1200D x4 calibration called 'Canon x4' and it's image resolution value, which on my system is 1658674.20 for example. ****PLEASE SEE UPDATE IN LATER POST BELOW FOR EASIER METHOD****

Write down the value then close the drop-down. I have a sticky-note list on the wall for non Toupcam calibrations...

Go to the 'image drop-down' and choose 'resolution' - enter the number noted as a resolution in µ per meter (default I think) and your measurement line will have a shiny-new measurement value that's in microns and correct!

Easy once you've calibrated all objectives (via pictures set to 100%, of stage-micrometer slide scales) for in this case the 1200D's (i.e. non-Toupcam live-view) pictures. Have the list of resolutions handy and off you go, measurements of any camera's images using Toupview!

Very handy.

I've defined sets of 5 (x4, x20, x40, x60 and x100) calibrations for the 2mp Toupcam I have, as well as my Canon 1200D - suitably named of course - a note on the wall with the Canon's resolution values and the rest is easy!

p.s. remember to save the two-layered measured image with the F2 key press as a jpg.

Hope this helps - it's really handy. :)
Last edited by mrsonchus on Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John B

mrsonchus

#11 Post by mrsonchus » Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:26 pm

UPDATE EXTRA INFORMATION 08/09/2020

No need as I originally posted, to go to the magnifications list and write down the resolution...
Instead go to the image-->resolution dropdown and select the magnification from there, e.g. the one for the 1200D 4x objective already calibrated. The correct resolution will be set by TView automatically and you're ready to measure!

UPDATE ENDS 08/09/2020
John B