3D image?

Here you can discuss topics such as focus stacking, stitching and other techniques that relate to the processing of micrographs.
Radazz

3D image?

#1 Post by Radazz » Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:09 pm

I was looking at slides on the Olympus SZ40 Stereo scope and wondered if it would be possibloe to record the 3D image for a 2D medium such as the forum.

My first experiment. I need to work out some lighting issues. I chose this old dry mount I made a couple of years ago because it has a lot of depth.
I made an image of each side with a small eyepiece camera. Named right and left.
With a geeenough stereo scope, the point of focus is not centered, and you need to lineup the center when making the image for each occular tube.
I used a mechanical stage clip to move between the center of field for each eyepiece, but sliding the slide along a straight edge would also work.
The two images are opened in photoshop elements. One image needs the canvas size doubled length wise only. Then select the image and move it to one half and switch to the other image. Select all and copy. Next paste the copy into the empty half. A rule line helps getting the images level. Take care to get them on the correct side.

If you are game, hold your head level with the image on your monitor, then slowly cross your eyes until you see one dot at the top center and a dot on each side of an image that appears between the two images. I don't have the vocabulary to describe it, you just have to try it.
You need to hold your head perfectly level for this to work, but you can see the image clear up when you get there. Good luck,
Radazz

Arnold, Missouri
Olympus IX70
Olympus BX40
Olympus SZ40

ChrisR

Re: 3D image?

#2 Post by ChrisR » Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:18 pm

You have the left and right the wrong way round if you want to use the crossed-eye method.
I find it "works" when they're swapped, but there are quite big differences between the images so it isn't quite as effective as it could be. Keep trying!

MichaelG.

#3 Post by MichaelG. » Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:45 pm

ChrisR wrote:You have the left and right the wrong way round if you want to use the crossed-eye method.
I find it "works" when they're swapped ...
Fortunately for me, I use the 'parallel gaze' viewing method, so it works as-is for me.
One hint for those using iPad, or similar ... pinch-zoom to get the image separation to match your inter-ocular distance.

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

ChrisR

#4 Post by ChrisR » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:57 pm

Somehow I learned to diverge my eyes so I can see it too, but it's quite a lot more difficult.
Rik Littlefield (wrote Zerene stacker & does talks) says hardly anyone can use the crossed-eye method and even fewer uncrossed eyes. I think it must be practice, - or motivation!

MichaelG.

#5 Post by MichaelG. » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:17 pm

ChrisR wrote:Somehow I learned to diverge my eyes so I can see it too, but it's quite a lot more difficult.
Rik Littlefield (wrote Zerene stacker & does talks) says hardly anyone can use the crossed-eye method and even fewer uncrossed eyes. I think it must be practice, - or motivation!
My ability might relate to the fact that I was very short-sighted, and viewed stereo images close-up, without my glasses.
Since having my cataracts done, I am now long-sighted and have no accommodation, so I need glasses for close-up ... and parallel viewing is more difficult than it was.

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'