Motic Image Plus for Mac

Here you can discuss topics such as focus stacking, stitching and other techniques that relate to the processing of micrographs.
photomicro

Motic Image Plus for Mac

#1 Post by photomicro » Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:00 pm

A friend has asked me to test if a Moticam 2300 USB 2 camera works, as I have a microscope and they do not. Unfortunately, he cannot find the software disc.

The Motic Images Plus 2 software seems readily available as a trial (2 weeks) from their website, but strangely, only for Windows, not a Mac.

You may have guessed, I have a Mac. Hence at the moment, I can't see if it works.

The device connects via USB, and the green light on the camera comes on when I do so, but the camera does not appear as a device in the filer, nor is is detected by Apple Image Capture.

I wonder if anyone who uses one of these types of Motic cameras can help?

thanks, Mike.

Hobbyst46

Re: Motic Image Plus for Mac

#2 Post by Hobbyst46 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:48 pm

photomicro wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:00 pm
...A friend has asked me to test if a Moticam 2300 USB 2 camera works, as I have a microscope and they do not. Unfortunately, he cannot find the software disc..
Perhaps MICAM works with this camera ? at least for Windows users, it is free as a complete package, not just a trial. The latest version I know about is MICAM 2.

jfiresto

#3 Post by jfiresto » Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:59 pm

It appears you first need to register the camera to download the current Mac or Windows software, but then updates are free, whatever that means.
-John

MichaelG.

#4 Post by MichaelG. » Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:01 pm

jfiresto wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:59 pm
It appears you first need to register the camera to download the current Mac or Windows software, but then updates are free, whatever that means.
I am pleased to say ... it means exactly what it says

Register, and you get access to all the downloads and free updates.
https://www.motic.com/user_login.html
https://www.motic.com/Eur_EuropeDownload/ [your country may differ]

Motic Images Plus 2.0 works with most of the older cameras
Motic Images Plus 3.0 only works with the newer cameras

Note: The camera acts as a 'dongle' but once the program is running, you can also use other cameras.

MichaelG.
Mac OSX user
Too many 'projects'

jfiresto

#5 Post by jfiresto » Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:51 pm

I will take your word for it. I can see the Images Plus links under Members.

If I click on one of them, the site asks me to login. After I do, it updates the page, hides the links and replaces them with:
Members
There is no software update compatible to your registered product, please proceed to the Warranty Registration page.
Hence, the odd wording of my post.
-John

MichaelG.

#6 Post by MichaelG. » Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:12 pm

jfiresto wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:51 pm
I will take your word for it. I can see the Images Plus links under Members.

If I click on one of them, the site asks me to login. After I do, it updates the page, hides the links and replaces them with:
Members
There is no software update compatible to your registered product, please proceed to the Warranty Registration page.
Hence, the odd wording of my post.
I am almost certain that you [or you friend] will need to have registered a specific camera on the 'Warranty Registration page' before you can do anything useful.
Note: I bought two 'new but obsolete' cameras very cheaply on ebay, and Motic happily registered both of them; and I can access all of the software.

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

MichaelG.

#7 Post by MichaelG. » Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:28 pm

photomicro wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:00 pm
A friend has asked me to test if a Moticam 2300 USB 2 camera works, as I have a microscope and they do not. Unfortunately, he cannot find the software disc. [ ... ]
:oops: Sorry, Mike
I've just noticed that I was replying to jfiresto instead of your good self

Hopefully the message makes sense ... but please eMail me if you need any further info.

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

jfiresto

#8 Post by jfiresto » Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:10 am

I am sure your help was appreciated! Besides, the misdirection was probably partly my fault. I may have been getting too familiar with Michael's problem and should have answered with a touch of proper aloofness.
-John

MichaelG.

#9 Post by MichaelG. » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:39 am

Thanks for that note, John

No harm done ... I'm sure everything will work-out fine.

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

photomicro

#10 Post by photomicro » Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:29 am

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

I have managed to register as a user on the Motic site successfully, but then trying to register the item is causing an issue.

The system seems to expect a product number starting with 'DM' or 'KM' (the only ones in the drop-down menu) whereas the serial number on this device starts with 'S' and is only 6 numbers long.

Subsequently, when I go to the s/w d/l page, as a 'member' it says I haven't got a product registered.

I am wondering if the relevant number would have been on (warranty) card that came with the device, rather than that on the device.

Michael, I will email you.

thanks again, Mike

MichaelG.

#11 Post by MichaelG. » Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:34 am

photomicro wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:29 am
The system seems to expect a product number starting with 'DM' or 'KM' (the only ones in the drop-down menu) whereas the serial number on this device starts with 'S' and is only 6 numbers long.

Subsequently, when I go to the s/w d/l page, as a 'member' it says I haven't got a product registered.

I am wondering if the relevant number would have been on (warranty) card that came with the device, rather than that on the device.
I am guessing that 'S' might be the model number, Mike

I'm pretty sure that the 'DM' or 'KM' serial number will be [have been] on the packaging for the software and Warranty Card.
... it may also feature somewhere on the product [?]

To the best of my knowledge: One or other of you [but not both] will need to register the product.
... and that individual's account will then have access to the software.

I have found Motic Europe product support quite helpful ... you may need their advice.

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

Ham

#12 Post by Ham » Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:47 pm

I'm currently using Motic Images Plus 3.0 for Mac, and I'm happy with it. However, I'm thinking about upgrading my camera and was wondering if the Motic software was compatible with other camera brands. I asked a Motic rep, but didn't receive a reply. Thanks in advance.

MichaelG.

#13 Post by MichaelG. » Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:57 pm

To the best of my knowledge ... The Motic software will allow [some] other cameras to be used as an alternative source, but only if there is a Motic camera plugged into the system.
i.e.the Motic camera acts as a security dongle, and must be present.

Saved files, however, can be processed, but that restriction ^^^ applies to ‘live’ sources.

Hope that makes sense ...if not, I will try again !!

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

Ham

#14 Post by Ham » Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:16 am

Thanks for the reply, Michael! Do you mean I need to have both my Moticam and new camera (if I get one) plugged into my computer in order to use the software with the new camera?

MichaelG.

#15 Post by MichaelG. » Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:06 am

Ham wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:16 am
Thanks for the reply, Michael! Do you mean I need to have both my Moticam and new camera (if I get one) plugged into my computer in order to use the software with the new camera?
Yes ... exactly that, I’m afraid [and probably worse]

I don’t know all the details, but from experience I can tell you this much:

I have a couple of early Moticams, which run happily on ‘Images Plus 2’
... but not on ‘Images Plus 3’

With a Moticam plugged into the Mac, Images Plus 2 will let me use a ‘Point Grey Dragonfly’ Firewire camera, but not one from ‘the Imaging Source’.
and it will let me use a generic UVC webcam, but not a Toupcam.

Equally, The ToupLite software does not recognise my Moticams, or other sources.

If you particularly like ‘Images Plus 3’ then your safest bet would be to buy another Moticam.

MichaelG.

Note: Both versions of ‘Images Plus‘ will let me process saved files from other cameras, regardless of whether or not a Moticam is plugged-in ... the trouble only comes when trying to acquire images.
Too many 'projects'

Ham

#16 Post by Ham » Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:30 am

Thanks for the detailed reply, Michael. Looks like I need to stick with Moticams if I want to continue to use MIP 3.0. Do you know of any other software similar to MIP 3.0 that runs on a Mac? I was looking at an LW Scientific Camera that comes with ToupView Lite software I believe. How does ToupView compare to MIP?

MichaelG.

#17 Post by MichaelG. » Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:20 am

Ham wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:30 am
Thanks for the detailed reply, Michael. Looks like I need to stick with Moticams if I want to continue to use MIP 3.0. Do you know of any other software similar to MIP 3.0 that runs on a Mac? I was looking at an LW Scientific Camera that comes with ToupView Lite software I believe. How does ToupView compare to MIP?
ToupLite [for OSX] is a feeble thing compared with ToupView [for MS Windows]

http://www.touptek.com/download/showdow ... 28&lang=en

... on the Mac, I have seen nothing better than the Motic offerings.

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

Ham

#18 Post by Ham » Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:37 pm

MichaelG. wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:20 am
Ham wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:30 am
ToupLite [for OSX] is a feeble thing compared with ToupView [for MS Windows]

http://www.touptek.com/download/showdow ... 28&lang=en

... on the Mac, I have seen nothing better than the Motic offerings.

MichaelG.
Thanks! Looks like I'll be sticking to Moticams.

Tim D

#19 Post by Tim D » Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:44 pm

Hi All,
I recently got a Moticam 1SP (also new but from Ebay). I installed Motic Images Plus 3.0, which is compatible with OS 10.15.7 on my Mac Book Pro. The camera now will grab frames at 320x256, and 640x512, but it freezes if I try to set it a 1280x1024. Anyone else had this problem and know of a work-around?
Thanks,
Tim

Gasman

#20 Post by Gasman » Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:43 am

Just to throw this in the mix, I have been using Altami studio for some time now ( the beta version 4) with my little 5meg Toupcam and it has been excellent (Windows 10) and I understand they do version for Mac with QT Capture interface.I was given a free licence to participate in the beta test although little action seems to have taken place over the pandemic. Not sure if they are still in business but the web site is still active.
Steve

MichaelG.

#21 Post by MichaelG. » Sun Jan 02, 2022 8:26 pm

Tim D wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:44 pm
Hi All,
I recently got a Moticam 1SP (also new but from Ebay). I installed Motic Images Plus 3.0, which is compatible with OS 10.15.7 on my Mac Book Pro. The camera now will grab frames at 320x256, and 640x512, but it freezes if I try to set it a 1280x1024. Anyone else had this problem and know of a work-around?
Thanks,
Tim

Sorry, Tim … I have only just seen this ^^^

It may or may not be relevant, but the 1SP seems to be intended to use Motic Images Plus 2.0

MichaelG.
Ref. __ https://www.microscopesales.co.uk/motic ... 7e3cb.html
Too many 'projects'