Rheinberg illumination experiment

Here you can discuss different microscopic techniques and illumination methods, such as Brightfield, Darkfield, Phase Contrast, DIC, Oblique illumination, etc.
janvangastel

Rheinberg illumination experiment

#1 Post by janvangastel » Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:24 pm

Here's my first experiment with Rheinberg illumination: a rotifer. Maybe not the most suited object, but it's not too bad.

Gasman

Re: Rheinberg illumination experiment

#2 Post by Gasman » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:19 pm

Nice try Jan!. I wonder if the specimen would be clearer with a lighter background?.
Steve

KD Arvidsson

#3 Post by KD Arvidsson » Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:14 pm

Yes good try Janvangastel I have tested these filters a lot and sometimes it gets really good! //KD
Microscope Nikon Labophot 2
Panasonic GH4 and HY-2307 Camera+Euromex adapter.
Westcoast of Sweden.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjsgbq ... dyl2x0Atpw

DonSchaeffer

#4 Post by DonSchaeffer » Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:52 am

Microscopes are not like magnifying glasses. They work on the basis of interference patterns that break the white light into color bands. They fail to resolve images when the interference patterns are not present. I think the color consequences on microscopic images are unpredictable. There doesn't have to be a specific cause of a color dysfunction.

Zuul

#5 Post by Zuul » Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:17 am

DonSchaeffer wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:52 am
Microscopes are not like magnifying glasses. They work on the basis of interference patterns that break the white light into color bands. They fail to resolve images when the interference patterns are not present. I think the color consequences on microscopic images are unpredictable. There doesn't have to be a specific cause of a color dysfunction.
Huh? I don’t think that describes standard Brightfield (or Darkfield) microscopy. Maybe some of the specialized contrast meathods?

The color in this case is from a color Rheinberg filter.

Sir

#6 Post by Sir » Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:59 am

Great video!

Does anyone know how this would look compared to regular darkfield, but with a blue filter placed between the objective and camera sensor instead?

janvangastel

#7 Post by janvangastel » Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:29 pm

Nice try Jan!. I wonder if the specimen would be clearer with a lighter background?.
Steve
Steve, I tried that, but then the blue color bleeds into the bolack background, reducing the contrast
Does anyone know how this would look compared to regular darkfield, but with a blue filter placed between the objective and camera sensor instead?
Sir, I did this in the three last photographs below. I placed the color filter on top of the iris, below the condenser and a dark field patch in the filter tray, between the iris and the condenser, just below the condenser. I also tried 'normal' Rhienberg method, but saw no difference. Below are the photographs: bright field, deark field and blue and red 'Rheinberg'.

larve_brigh_2t.jpg
larve_brigh_2t.jpg (337.31 KiB) Viewed 4030 times
larve_dark_2.jpg
larve_dark_2.jpg (109.93 KiB) Viewed 4030 times
larve_blue_2.jpg
larve_blue_2.jpg (65.77 KiB) Viewed 4030 times
larve_red_2.jpg
larve_red_2.jpg (61 KiB) Viewed 4030 times

Greg Howald

#8 Post by Greg Howald » Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:49 pm

Great photos! I made my own filters and I really enjoy using them. My artist wife had me put the filters in with complementary colors. Blue with orange. Violet with yellow. Red with green. If you haven't tried that you may enjoy it. I do. I especially like a violet background and yellow, or darkfield with yellow.
Enjoy. Greg