Leitz Laborlux episcopic setup

Here you can discuss different microscopic techniques and illumination methods, such as Brightfield, Darkfield, Phase Contrast, DIC, Oblique illumination, etc.
Elapid

Leitz Laborlux episcopic setup

#1 Post by Elapid » Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:29 pm

Awhile back I bought a Leitz Laborlux with a transmitted light phase contrast condenser and turret with 4 objectives. It also has a Uropak episcopic adapter with a 4 position turret and 2 objectives which seem correct for episcopic illumination. I am just now trying out the Uropak adapter. With it installed on the scope I stop down the field diaphragm and it is way off center and the diaphragm leaf edges are not in focus. I don’t know if I should be able to adjust it for something like Koehler illumination or if I’ll just have to use it off center. I don’t see anything that would adjust the unit centering or condenser focus, if it does actually have some sort of condenser lens in it. I can’t find instructions for using this Uropak anywhere. I would appreciate any help with this.

Rossf

Re: Leitz Laborlux episcopic setup

#2 Post by Rossf » Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:48 pm

Hi Elapid-this link goes to Leitz accessories page with a downloadable Ultropak manual among other things-the ultropak are hard to understand in my opinion-different types for different scopes-I think they can adjust DOF unlike othe Neo type objectives-I want to eventually get some for my laborlux D to image semi opaque critters and microbes in situ ie in a clump of dirt or compost.
Good luck
Regards Ross

http://microscope.database.free.fr/Acce ... nuals.html

Elapid

#3 Post by Elapid » Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:40 pm

Thanks for your help Ross. You’re certainly right, the Ultrapak is very difficult to understand. Considering how complex this little unit is there seems to be surprisingly little info available on how it functions and how to use it. The link you provided does have a few useful clues but doesn’t explain how to set up and align the unit. I’ve found on the model I have on my Laborlux that there is both a field diaphragm and an aperture diaphragm like a condenser diaphragm. But when I stop down the field diaphragm, and then the aperture diaphragm, they are both off center but in different directions! So is the unit kaput or just in need of adjustment? So far I haven’t found anything that can be adjusted. So if you are considering one for your Laborlux D be sure to get one that you can definitely align.

As far as your interest in examining soil microorganisms in situ, sounds really interesting. I suspect that episcopic dark field, with or without polarization, would be your best bet. I have used that with another microscope I have, a Nikon Metaphot, but my Laborlux is such a beautiful scope I’d really like to get it set up for that.

Rossf

#4 Post by Rossf » Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:19 am

Hey Elapid I forgot to ask-is your laborlux the 60’s black model? If so could you post a pic of what the ultropak that came with it looks like? Some are silver,some black,some seem to attach to the nose dovetail and other sort of screw in (I think that’s for the ortholux or other bigger models) -at least I’ll know what visually to look for. Regards ross

Elapid

#5 Post by Elapid » Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:21 pm

Yes I do have photos and I apologize for not putting them up from the start but I’ve had trouble due to the file size being too large. I did get a photobucket account but I haven’t exactly figured out how to use it yet to attach photos. So I reduced the size of my files drastically and I think it will work.
I do have the old black 1960’s model Laborlux and it seems to be in good shape. I purchased an LED illuminator which works with the episcopic attachment. I just can’t seem to get the unit working properly because the field diaphragm and the aperture diaphragm are so far off center. Not only that but the two diaphragms are nowhere close to being centered on the same axis with each other. I really don’t have any documentation on it so I hope someone can help.
Attachments
73441263-932C-456B-9433-38E3FF9541AC.jpeg
73441263-932C-456B-9433-38E3FF9541AC.jpeg (91 KiB) Viewed 2319 times

Elapid

#6 Post by Elapid » Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:51 pm

Sorry about the image rotation, I don’t know why that happened. They were all in the correct orientation when I uploaded them. Here are two views from opposite sides that show the levers for the field and aperture diaphragms. The LED illuminator can also be seen.