Comments on LED set up here appear useful

Here you can discuss different microscopic techniques and illumination methods, such as Brightfield, Darkfield, Phase Contrast, DIC, Oblique illumination, etc.
microb

Comments on LED set up here appear useful

#1 Post by microb » Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:24 am

For this video, I'm finding the comment section useful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtV_uPmhCNg

BramHuntingNematodes

Re: Comments on LED set up here appear useful

#2 Post by BramHuntingNematodes » Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:37 am

A fiber lead sounds pretty fancy I been having pretty good luck using some of the really small single die LEDs to approximate point source lighting. I'll make sure to only get ones already attached to the thermal substrate from now on though as they are almost impossible to solder by hand (almost).
1942 Bausch and Lomb Series T Dynoptic, Custom Illumination

dtsh

#3 Post by dtsh » Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:17 pm

BramHuntingNematodes wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:37 am
A fiber lead sounds pretty fancy I been having pretty good luck using some of the really small single die LEDs to approximate point source lighting. I'll make sure to only get ones already attached to the thermal substrate from now on though as they are almost impossible to solder by hand (almost).
Hot air solder makes it significantly easier, though still not quite trivial.

hans

#4 Post by hans » Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:11 pm

dtsh wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:17 pm
Hot air solder makes it significantly easier, though still not quite trivial.
And for a single component like LED where it is possible to watch and stop applying heat as soon as the solder reflows you can get away with an inexpensive heat gun or propane torch rather than a temperature-controlled hot air soldering station.

MichaelG.

#5 Post by MichaelG. » Wed Dec 14, 2022 7:26 pm

BramHuntingNematodes wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:37 am
A fiber lead sounds pretty fancy …
I think a fiber lead sounds the way to go … has anyone seen the set-up to which LutzSchafer refers ?

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

Macro_Cosmos

#6 Post by Macro_Cosmos » Thu Dec 15, 2022 1:45 am

That massive LED is wasteful and delivers subpar results. Reusing the optics of the lamphouse is a very good idea, however, it was not designed for such a huge area. I see no active cooling either, such a small lamphouse is going to choke this ludicrously overpowered LED. I wonder if the lack of brightness was due to an old halogen bulb, is that lamphouse 100W? It appears to be 50W -- I know nothing about old Zeiss microscopes. 50W will for short for DIC anyway so his LED upgrade is on the right path.

If I were to put more effort into my DIY LED thing, I would use an actively cooled COB LED, with a collimator fitted to a 3mm LLG (liquid light guide) to create a beam size that is similar to the area of a halogen bulb, and place the collimated spot at approximately the location of the halogen bulb filament. This way, I do not need to worry about vibrations induced by the cooling fan. I am very lazy, so brightness adjustment will be done via an ND filter wheel.

Most advanced modern LED solutions, especially for reflected light will choose to utilise an LLG. Lumencor is my favourite, Sutter and CoolLED offers some very good solutions as well. All of them offers direct mounting too, usually for transillumination. Funnily, Zeiss' own Colibri mounts directly to the microscope's port. There are some inherent beauty to such a plug and play solution. With LLG based systems, there is always some fiddling required to get the optimal results.

MichaelG.

#7 Post by MichaelG. » Thu Dec 15, 2022 2:55 am

I am struggling a little, to understand what is sufficiently novel about this to justify a patent:
https://worldwide.espacenet.com/patent/ ... 11112692A1
… but it’s worth a look.

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'