DF patch stops, polarizing filters for Swift380T + microtome

Here you can discuss different microscopic techniques and illumination methods, such as Brightfield, Darkfield, Phase Contrast, DIC, Oblique illumination, etc.
SilverWolf

DF patch stops, polarizing filters for Swift380T + microtome

#1 Post by SilverWolf » Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:35 am

Just thought I'd put this here as it's dark-field patch stops and polarizing filters for my Swift SW380T, really just an excuse to show the goodies that turned up in today's mail :D because I'm excited.

Too easy, all glass and cost very little indeed ($8 each = $16 AUD/just over $10 USD). eBay finding: 25mm CPL and 39MM CPL sizing

Playing with 3D printing the patch stop filters to simulate dark-field, think these might be the final sizing's, have to play yet. Sizing is roughly 15mm/18mm/22mm diameter stops.

And nothing to do with this thread but seeing as I'm showing off, cheap hand microtome for less than $20 on AliExpress. Was going to 3D print one but this was so cheap and has a subject clamp also and a little flat blade knife I just splurged. :shock:

Image Image
Last edited by SilverWolf on Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:26 am, edited 3 times in total.
Cheers
Wolf :ugeek:

quantum

Re: DF patch stops, polarizing filters for Swift380T + microtome

#2 Post by quantum » Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:08 am

Cool stuff!

Please let us know if the microtome lets you create better specimens. I think I am no better at specimen-making than I was in school many years ago. It is probably an area I could get a lot of return on investment--making proper slides with good technique.

SilverWolf

#3 Post by SilverWolf » Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:50 am

Will let you know soon as I get to try it, can only make it easier though and a better knife/razor blade may give a finer result. I'll sharpen and strop this little cheap knife and try it first though, will post a couple of sample images and my thoughts when I get a chance.

Mod's or Admin, please feel free to move this post to the other microscopy accessories section please if more appropriate. :oops:
Cheers

SilverWolf

#4 Post by SilverWolf » Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:26 am

Well didn't get very long but here's two quick short videos, first dark-field using patch stops and then one using the polarizing filters. Really gives an interesting and different effect though focus definition and contrast isn't as good/strong. Also found it fairly challenging to track/follow subject and work focus at the same time, but hopefully with practice that will improve.

Dark-field

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2wHBlLqQWM

Polarized

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5-QoeM6mHE

Had a go with the microtome and it gets thin slices but it didn't seem as easy as I had thought and took several tries, I think I'll need a bit of practice lol. Maybe a better knife/razor will make a difference.
Cheers

Darren

#5 Post by Darren » Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:48 pm

Very nice.

On my wish list next. A 3d printer. Although the missus wouldn't accept the fact I need one. bah.

Thanks for linking the polarized ebay link. I'll be sure to get them.

Will have a scout around for darkfield patches later tonight. See how much they'll set me back.

But yeah, that link of the darkfield looked amazing, comparing it to the failed attempts I have been doing.

Thanks

Darren
Swift 380T using 10x, 20x, 40x & 60x objectives
16mp Microscope Camera (in the post....)
40 ~ 2000 x (more like 200x) LCD electronic microscope (actually very good)
(With home stitched mechanical stage and lighting system)

SilverWolf

#6 Post by SilverWolf » Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:45 pm

Hi Darren,

Sorry but I didn't notice until you mentioned it but I had not shared a link to the actual eBay CPL filters I grabbed, so here is it for those interested.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/25mm-27mm-2 ... 2749.l2649

As to the stop patches for darkfield, you will find the smaller sizes more useful. I find there isn't enough light for the larger stops, maybe a brighter lamp upgrade but if going to that trouble it may be worth seeing if a proper DF set-up/condenser could be fitted. One of the other threads a member was already looking at doing this I think.

Do you know anyone with a 3D printer or maybe someone of the forum even if they live in same country/state etc may be willing to help print some and post them. One of my Son's has been wanting to get a 3D printer since they first were of avail, he just got one a couple of weeks ago so I was lucky. He's desperate to print everything he can get a go at which is working out well for me getting all sorts of projects and things I needed parts for repairs while it's a new toy for him.

Maybe you could convince the other half that it would be just as useful to them as yourself to have a printer in the house, so much you can make for all kinds of things or repairs. If your creative enough they are a awesome device to have in a household, my son bought a basic unit but has upgraded it and improved it with 3D parts he's printed on the device lol. I haven't used one yet myself, don't see a need now my Son has one and is willing to do it all for me, saves me from suffering more brain-farts :lol:
Cheers

dtsh

#7 Post by dtsh » Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:09 pm

Darren wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:48 pm
On my wish list next. A 3d printer. Although the missus wouldn't accept the fact I need one. bah.
They can be quite handy, it's one of those tools where I thought I would use for for miscellaneous tasks here and there but instead it revolutionized how I do many small repair projects and has greatly accelerated my prototyping immensely.
I don't use it all the time, a project every few weeks on average over the past few years. I'd say it's paid for itself a couple times over in what it has saved in repairs or fabrication. To get the most out of it requires learning some CAD, but there are a great many options out there including free ones.

Darren

#8 Post by Darren » Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:23 pm

Thanks for the replies.

Appreciate the advice given. Now to find an expensive repair job the wife has been waiting for me to fix..... "Hmm, if only I could print the part, now wouldn't that be good, could save hundreds..."

See how it goes; finger crossed

Unfortunately not sure of anyone I know with a 3d printer. I might actually get to be the first one if I can persuade well enough.

Going to look up a couple of online societies for microscopy. Had a couple of suggestions earlier. Might find someone local to Blackpool :)

Thanks again, really good of you to take the time out to offer some advice.

SilverWolf

#9 Post by SilverWolf » Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:12 pm

dtsh wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:09 pm
Darren wrote:
They can be quite handy, it's one of those tools where I thought I would use for for miscellaneous tasks here and there but instead it revolutionized how I do many small repair projects and has greatly accelerated my prototyping immensely.
I don't use it all the time, a project every few weeks on average over the past few years. I'd say it's paid for itself a couple times over in what it has saved in repairs or fabrication. To get the most out of it requires learning some CAD, but there are a great many options out there including free ones.
Handy is the word, my Son just finished making a new ABS handle, trigger and whole kill/run switch assy (built into handle just as per the original set-up, which got crushed/broken by firetruck) for my industrial 4stroke pole-saw. Something that wasn't of avail as a replacement part and the saw is worth more than the 3D printer, now it's perfect again.

I think the only limit is a person's imagination kind of thing with these, my Son is only using freeware as well.... Sorry for the off topic posts lol.
Cheers

MicroBob

#10 Post by MicroBob » Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:13 am

Darren wrote:
Although the missus wouldn't accept the fact I need one.
Hi Darren,
one of my first 3D-prints was a cooling fan rotor for the motor of my wives hand mixer. She had put it on top of a mixing bowl and went away with the machine running. "I do that all the time..." only this time the mixer fell to the floor, covering the kitchen with the contents of the mixing bowl. :lol: I only got wind of this when she said to me: "The mixer is making clicking noises...". We try to keep our ecological footprint small so she was embarrassed to have killed the mixer. The neat repair with the 3D-printed part increased it's WAF no end! :lol:

Bob

MicroBob

#11 Post by MicroBob » Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:19 am

The microtome:
Cheap as it is one would expect chewing gum automat toy qualtity. But no, for the money it is actually very good. Typically products are let down by single drawbacks, especially cheap products. The hand microtome really is not great, but it doesn't have any really weak points and is usable. It feels as if somebody has actually understood the function and tested it so it meet the expectations as good as possible for this little amount of money. I'm positively astonised.

Bob

Darren

#12 Post by Darren » Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:42 am

MicroBob wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:19 am
The microtome:
Cheap as it is one would expect chewing gum automat toy qualtity. But no, for the money it is actually very good. Typically products are let down by single drawbacks, especially cheap products. The hand microtome really is not great, but it doesn't have any really weak points and is usable. It feels as if somebody has actually understood the function and tested it so it meet the expectations as good as possible for this little amount of money. I'm positively astonised.

Bob
Hi Bob,

Am I being lazy, probably, but do you have the link to the tome... very interested in purchasing the same one :)
Many thanks,

Darren

SilverWolf

#13 Post by SilverWolf » Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:58 am

MicroBob wrote:
The microtome:

Bob
Did you get the same one/model? They are fairly basic, I was surprised the cheap one I bought even had a proper glassed front. It works well, I just use a more solid knife as I kept flexing the one that came with it and getting uneven slices.

This is the link to the one I bought.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001 ... 2875nLoGyw
Darren wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:42 am
MicroBob wrote:
The microtome:

Bob
Hi Bob,

Am I being lazy, probably, but do you have the link to the tome... very interested in purchasing the same one :)
Many thanks,

Darren
Hi Darren,

Not sure if Bob has the same unit or not but I put the link for the unit I grabbed above, I was going to print one but at the price this one was I just splurged out :lol: .
Cheers

Darren

#14 Post by Darren » Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:51 pm

Thanks Wolf, appreciated :)