Interesting graphical description of the mathematical background of oblique lighting

Here you can discuss different microscopic techniques and illumination methods, such as Brightfield, Darkfield, Phase Contrast, DIC, Oblique illumination, etc.
MicroBob

Interesting graphical description of the mathematical background of oblique lighting

#1 Post by MicroBob » Sun May 02, 2021 5:34 pm

Hi together,
Hubert has looked for an explanation of the relief effect of oblique lighting and created this interesting comparison of illumination techniques (in german language):
https://www.mikroskopie-forum.de/index. ... ;topicseen

Bob
Last edited by MicroBob on Mon May 03, 2021 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

tgss

Re: Interesting gaphical description of the mathematical background of oblique lighting

#2 Post by tgss » Sun May 02, 2021 10:33 pm

Thank you for the link MicroBob. Looks very interesting. I shall work my way through it when I have a little more time.
Tom W.

Greg Howald

Re: Interesting graphical description of the mathematical background of oblique lighting

#3 Post by Greg Howald » Mon May 03, 2021 1:30 pm

That is really good info. Thanks lots. Greg

Hobbyst46

Re: Interesting graphical description of the mathematical background of oblique lighting

#4 Post by Hobbyst46 » Mon May 03, 2021 10:02 pm

Bob, It would be nice reading the full article, it there is an English version; the text is too long for DeepL sessions...
I would add that Oblique illumination is quite vivid in recent academic research, decorated with complex (pun) math equations...

MicroBob

#5 Post by MicroBob » Tue May 04, 2021 6:11 am

Hi together,
the limitation of oblique was always that it was not easy to get a repeatable effect. I can imagine that in a very modern microscope with stepper motor control of the oblique stop and digital imaging the resolution enhancing effect could be put to good use. Changeing the objective by means of a button press would then lead to a an automatic setting of condenser and stops. This could be a usefull contrast method for professional use.

Bob