Ptychographic Microscopy

Here you can discuss different microscopic techniques and illumination methods, such as Brightfield, Darkfield, Phase Contrast, DIC, Oblique illumination, etc.
clipi

Ptychographic Microscopy

#1 Post by clipi » Sun May 09, 2021 5:22 pm

Has anyone in this forum atempted to upgrade their microscope or built a Ptychographic microscope with led arrays for megapixel resolution?
I love to hear your experience with it.
Thanks

Greg Howald

Re: Ptychographic Microscopy

#2 Post by Greg Howald » Sun May 09, 2021 10:30 pm

I've been working on this off and on for about a month. The led panels don't seem to be a problem but I've had difficult making the parabolic mirrors, so sorrowfully, I have nothing to report at this time. I'm starting with a 5x LM plan objective on my metallurgical scope in the attempt.
Greg

PeteM

#3 Post by PeteM » Sun May 09, 2021 11:42 pm

You've got us intrigued, Greg. What size mirrors do you need? Could something be scavenged from a reflected IR objective, a Xenon lamp, or ???

Greg Howald

#4 Post by Greg Howald » Sun May 09, 2021 11:51 pm

I dunno yet. My brother, the guy with the brain, will be here on Tuesday. We do research long distance. He lives in Tennessee and I in Oregon. We have the same microscopes. He's the one with the calculus. He can figure out in minutes what would take me a year. We'll see what happens.
Greg

patta

#5 Post by patta » Tue May 11, 2021 10:59 am

Maybe not very serious; I'm using the phone screen for "structured illumination" and other tricks. It is the"LED array" of Greg.
Dim, but works. Setup is trivial, just put the phone under the condenser. Try now! Image post-processing, that will be an hassle.

Slimmed down post
Last edited by patta on Thu May 20, 2021 6:58 am, edited 17 times in total.

patta

#6 Post by patta » Wed May 19, 2021 8:12 pm

Did anybody tried? Seriously, it works. How went Greg's thinkering?

Narogen

#7 Post by Narogen » Wed May 19, 2021 9:26 pm

Definitely seems doable, a quick search revealed a few quite folloable articles on the topic.

https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1 ... 463/ab489d
"Ptychographic modulation engine: a low-cost DIY microscope add-on for coherent super-resolution imaging"

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-019-43845-9
"Low-cost, sub-micron resolution, wide-field computational microscopy using opensource hardware"

https://sites.google.com/site/gazheng/F ... ychography
"Concept, implementations and applications of Fourier ptychography"

jmp

#8 Post by jmp » Fri May 21, 2021 3:03 pm

patta

#9 Post by patta » Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:02 pm

FYI I've finally posted here on Microbehunter the setups for "Phone ptychograpy" and so on
https://www.microbehunter.com/microscop ... 28&t=13095
It is a bit dim and needs the image processing and stacking patience as any of those techniques require. Looks simple and unimpressive but it does the optical trick, so, that's it. What you want more? Some stronger light maybe. If you have already a smartphone, setup cost is zero. If you don't have a smartphone, may use the computer screen.
I know, most won't believe. Maybe it is the lack of bombastic buzzwords. Anyway, plainly, put-the-phone-under-the-stage, it can illuminate from many directions and with many buzzwords.