Optics and Polarization Light Source Question

Here you can discuss different microscopic techniques and illumination methods, such as Brightfield, Darkfield, Phase Contrast, DIC, Oblique illumination, etc.
microb

Optics and Polarization Light Source Question

#1 Post by microb » Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:18 pm

Will polarized light run through and properly cross-polarize given a path of lenses like those in an epi that might introduce barrel distortion, and who knows, maybe Olympus distresses the glass when they make their lamp to epi lenses.

A BX61 RLAA has a heavily curved lens aimed towards the lamp at the lamp holder position. An AX70 just has a window, relying on the lamp to have a lens. Maybe the BX16's epi large lens might mess something up. Of course maybe either microscope's internal epi lenses might as well.

eKretz2

Re: Optics and Polarization Light Source Question

#2 Post by eKretz2 » Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:56 am

I should think it will be system dependent. Some might be fine, some not. This might make it important to use the original equipment designed for the scope in certain cases. For instance, I have a Vanox AHMT and EPI polarization seems to work fine with no distortion when flipping polarizers in or out, but that's a full system designed for that scope. You would probably have to try it if mixing and matching components from various manufacturers to find out.

Scarodactyl

Re: Optics and Polarization Light Source Question

#3 Post by Scarodactyl » Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:33 pm

I dpubt it would be a big problem, but the polarizer always seema to go right before the half mirror in these designs, after all the lenses.