HID colors

Here you can discuss different microscopic techniques and illumination methods, such as Brightfield, Darkfield, Phase Contrast, DIC, Oblique illumination, etc.
Plasmid

HID colors

#1 Post by Plasmid » Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:25 am

I need help understanding the difference in HID colors,.. Im currently using a 5K Xenon HID bulb for reflected applications, mostly Autofluorescence, however Im going to start experimenting with different dyes,.Is using a 2k more beneficial that using a 5k for example? And is the Nm wavelength affected or changed?
Attachments
hid-bulb-colour-temperature-chart.jpg
hid-bulb-colour-temperature-chart.jpg (40.1 KiB) Viewed 2738 times

viktor j nilsson

Re: HID colors

#2 Post by viktor j nilsson » Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:54 am

I have really enjoyed reading about these experiments with car xenon lights. I might head that way as well, either as a light source for my home made spectrometer, or for my fluorescence illuminator when I run out of hours on my mercury arc lamps.

Anyway, it seems hard to get proper spectrum data for these xenon lamps. However, the warm yellow color cast of 3000k xenon bulbs suggest that these have an excess of long (yellow and red) wavelengths, and are deficient in the short wavelength (violet and blue) part of the spectrum. Since most of the interesting autofluorescence happens at shorter wavelengths (UV-violet-blue) it is probably a good idea to stay with 5000k bulbs to maximize light output in this part of the spectrum. And remove the UV shielding glass. And wear proper eye protection and orange protection shields.

Plasmid

#3 Post by Plasmid » Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:09 am

Thank you, Im still trying to figure out how to efficiently remove the glass cover , the dremel approach wasn't as clean as expected. With a pair of bulbs under $10 on ebay Im going to try and experiment with different temperatures, although ultimately it'll depend on which filter configuration I'm using I guess!?
I opted for only focusing and viewing images through a monitor via an HDMI cable instead of down the Eyepieces, the few times I did it, even with shielding I felt as if my vision was taking a toll.
I will report that I get a much brighter florescence with the Xenon bulb with glass covering when compared with the one whose cover was removed.... Not sure why.

PeteM

#4 Post by PeteM » Fri Oct 29, 2021 7:07 pm

You should be able to find a "spectrum" online for most any high intensity discharge lamp. In contrast to sunlight or tungsten halogen lamps, these will tend to have peaks at certain frequencies (as will LEDs and fluorescent bulbs without phosphors). Generally speaking, you might want an even spectral distribution for brightfield work. Get it to a single frequency range (say, green) and you avoid chromatic aberrations. Target it for fluorescence . . . well, you get the idea. The work you're doing can dictate what sort of spectral distribution you'll want.

Here, you can see the spectral distributions for tungsten halogen and xenon lamps. The xenon is fairly even in the visual range, the tungsten halogen with less discontinuities. As you already know, the xenon is very efficient and can be super bright. Ideally, your lamp maker can provide spectra for the various lamps with dyes on the outer shields for change the (approximate) color temperature.

https://www.photonics.com/Articles/A_Gu ... mps/a44487

PeteM

#5 Post by PeteM » Fri Oct 29, 2021 7:15 pm

To add, it's a bit of a surprise that you get more fluorescence (what material?) with the cover on than off.

What I'd suspect is that the actual amount of fluorescence is much the same (a covering can't increase the power input at the excitation frequency), but that the observed effect is greater because there's less power in the visual range to obscure it. I'd think that rather than keep filters on a bulb that might happen to increase the signal to noise ratio, you'd want them in the visual path on your microscope.

Wes

#6 Post by Wes » Fri Oct 29, 2021 7:28 pm

viktor j nilsson wrote:
Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:54 am
I have really enjoyed reading about these experiments with car xenon lights.
Do you have a link describing those experiments? Sounds intriguing.
Zeiss Photomicroscope III BF/DF/Pol/Ph/DIC/FL/Jamin-Lebedeff
Youtube channel

viktor j nilsson

#7 Post by viktor j nilsson » Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:14 am

Wes wrote:
Fri Oct 29, 2021 7:28 pm
viktor j nilsson wrote:
Here's is a link on this page:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=14018

It started with a thread on the Amateur Microscopy page on Facebook, but I couldn't find it again when I look for it. Edit: I found it, it is in the discussion on this post: https://m.facebook.com/story/graphql_pe ... AzOTYzNDU5

Plasmid

#8 Post by Plasmid » Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:32 pm

viktor j nilsson wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:14 am
Wes wrote:
viktor j nilsson wrote:

It started with a thread on the Amateur Microscopy page on Facebook, but I couldn't find it again when I look for it. Edit: I found it, it is in the discussion on this post: https://m.facebook.com/story/graphql_pe ... AzOTYzNDU5
Yes , Im on that conversation, I ended up with the 5000k Xenon, very simple really to set up, just a few parts needed from Amazon, ebay etc

Wes

#9 Post by Wes » Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:33 am

viktor j nilsson wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:14 am
Wes wrote:
viktor j nilsson wrote:
Here's is a link on this page:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=14018

Thanks!
Zeiss Photomicroscope III BF/DF/Pol/Ph/DIC/FL/Jamin-Lebedeff
Youtube channel