Intensifier filter

Here you can discuss different microscopic techniques and illumination methods, such as Brightfield, Darkfield, Phase Contrast, DIC, Oblique illumination, etc.
Plasmid

Intensifier filter

#1 Post by Plasmid » Sat Nov 06, 2021 7:15 am

Didymium Filters has anyone used them or are familiar with them, also are Didymium Filters the same as intensifier filters used in photography like the hoya ones or is it a completely different material?
https://www.olympus-lifescience.com/en/ ... /didymium/

MichaelG.

Re: Intensifier filter

#2 Post by MichaelG. » Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:41 am

That’s a pretty impressive ‘demonstration’ … thanks for the link

I suspect that the microscopy filters are “similar to, but better calibrated than” the photographic ones.

Some useful details here: https://www.starna.com/uv-wavelength/di ... discussion

MichaelG.

Also worth looking at: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Didymium
Too many 'projects'

mrsonchus

#3 Post by mrsonchus » Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:31 am

Didymium filters are very useful indeed - I have a number of Olympus filters that I use/d with my BX40 and 50 'scopes.

The FF Didymium (I think they're used with fluorescence also?) is a beautiful filter that combined with for example a red stain such as Safranin (about the most often used red stain for Botany) with or without other stains within the tissue, they really do enhance and increase contrast.
I particularly enjoyed the use of various filters (45mm circular-framed for Olympus illumination port) with multi-stained slides and specimens - sometimes the difference to balance and consequent revelation of features and detail is quite considerable.
I have for sale as part of my lab-clearout an FF Didymium, an IFF 550 (green for phase etc), orange 45mm unframed O 560, LBD 2N daylight-balance 45mm unframed and an unbranded ND 6 filetr/s.
I'll post images of them in the to-sell section....
John B

Plasmid

#4 Post by Plasmid » Sat Nov 06, 2021 3:18 pm

mrsonchus wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:31 am
Didymium filters are very useful indeed - I have a number of Olympus filters that I use/d with my BX40 and 50 'scopes.

Hi John, I'm looking to use purchase and use for prepared histology slides and on my Fl Laborlux, particularly with eosin; wherein the light path do you normally use yours? does it just sit on top of the field diaphragm or does it sit near the oculars?

mrsonchus

#5 Post by mrsonchus » Sat Nov 06, 2021 4:38 pm

On top of (i.e. over) the field iris/illumination port below the stage.
John B