Olympus phase contrast objectives

Here you can discuss different microscopic techniques and illumination methods, such as Brightfield, Darkfield, Phase Contrast, DIC, Oblique illumination, etc.
Harold

Olympus phase contrast objectives

#1 Post by Harold » Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:00 pm

Just getting started with phase contrast microscopy so I'm still gathering the necessary bits and pieces. Specifically objectives. In the process of searching Ebay, I've come across some LWD CD Plan PL objectives. Are these appropriate for BH2? Will they work as well as their non-long working distance counterparts? Thanks

TonyT

Re: Olympus phase contrast objectives

#2 Post by TonyT » Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:31 pm

PM sent
New Brunswick
Canada

PeteM

#3 Post by PeteM » Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:01 pm

Especially at higher magnifications, you'll likely want phase contrast objectives corrected for a .17mm cover slip.

While plan achromats for better make good sense for brightfield work, especially if you want to take photos, my experience is that good achromats are OK for phase work with protists. They're moving around enough, you'll never get everything in plan focus . . .

TonyT

#4 Post by TonyT » Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:20 pm

Harold expressed an interest in my Oly SPLan 20PL. I could not add an image to my PM, so they are here:
Top: with phase 'off'', note that one can see the tiny spikes on the hairs - high quality lens
Bottom phase 'on'; I am not fond of phase that's why I use DIC.
It's the dorsal surface of a tiny mite; diameter of outer circle = 0.42 mm
Attachments
14xi21 mite bf.jpg
14xi21 mite bf.jpg (189.76 KiB) Viewed 3035 times
14xi21 mite phase.jpg
14xi21 mite phase.jpg (310.62 KiB) Viewed 3035 times
New Brunswick
Canada

PeteM

#5 Post by PeteM » Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:24 pm

Nice image.

Harold

#6 Post by Harold » Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:23 am

Indeed. Very nice photos!! PM reply sent. Let me know what you think. Thanks for giving me the opportunity.

Stew

#7 Post by Stew » Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:39 am

Beautiful images. Nice to see from a fellow maritimer.

Stew
Stew

Tom Jones

#8 Post by Tom Jones » Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:50 pm

Remember, the LWD and ULWD CDPlan PL objectives are for the inverted Olympus IMT-2 microscope. The IMT-2 uses a different condenser than the upright BH-2 so the phase rings *might* not be the same size. I've never checked. The non-phase objectives should work. I have a friend who has been using them for some time on dinosaur bone specimens.

As for cover slips, the CDPlans have a correction collar that runs from zero (no cover) to 2 mm for imaging through the bottom of petri dishes.

Rossf

#9 Post by Rossf » Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:45 pm

My two cents Harold-phase contrast shouldn’t be judged in imaging critters that can be easily seen in bright field-it often makes the image worse as TonyT’s photos show-bright field will always do a better job-sometimes phase can give a nice enhancement of say inner structures of ciliates and nematodes but phase contrast’ greatest strength and best application is in the imaging of ghostly hard to see protists (flagellates-amoebas-bacterial swarms-fungal mycelium etc)-these specimens really show the usefulness of phase in the right situation. The Splan PL objectives are really expensive! But then I’ve spent some pretty pennies on certain objectives… the simpler achromat versions (ie A20XPL) are very good also-the negative phase NH versions are nice also-hard to find…
Good luck with it-
Regards ross