Objective for phase contrast

Here you can discuss different microscopic techniques and illumination methods, such as Brightfield, Darkfield, Phase Contrast, DIC, Oblique illumination, etc.
Harold

Objective for phase contrast

#1 Post by Harold » Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:09 am

I've been gearing up for PC illumination on my Oly BH2, So far, I've got an Oly PC condenser, the requisite filter, and the alignment eyepiece/telescope. All that's lacking is the proper objective(s). Now Olympus Splan PL objectives are expensive. Enough to put this project on hold for quite a while longer than I'd like. On the other hand, there are some plain achromatic PL objectives that are far more economical. Are the SPlans really worth the $200 extra wanted for them? Or would I be better off holding out for the Splans?

PeteM

Re: Objective for phase contrast

#2 Post by PeteM » Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:43 am

My answer won't have changed from your earlier inquiry:

"While plan achromats for better make good sense for brightfield work, especially if you want to take photos, my experience is that good achromats are OK for phase work with protists. They're moving around enough, you'll never get everything in plan focus . . ."

Others may differ.

Harold

#3 Post by Harold » Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:35 am

Thanks so much for your reply. I suspected as much, but I've been burned by the false economy of "going cheap" before. So I wanted some opinions about how much I might regret being frugal.

deBult

#4 Post by deBult » Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:49 am

[*]
PeteM wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:43 am
"While plan achromats for better make good sense for brightfield work, especially if you want to take photos, my experience is that good achromats are OK for phase work with protists. They're moving around enough, you'll never get everything in plan focus ."
Agree on PeteM’s observations.

Your aimed application area is of importance here.

Pond dipper myself and have a mixed set of PL, PLL, NH in use. Most plain achromats, some SPlan. Really appreciate the phase effect when observing ciliates and algae (e.g. the outer mucus layers on algae are hardly visible in bright field).
My phase equipped revolver contains a mix of PPL and NH, the PL are in the drawer most of the time. The NH Negative High gets the most use, but much depends on the subject and preference.

The SPlans are nice and a must have when using the wide field of view version of the binocular head.
All in all for pond dipping usage I personally would invest the “extra” money in obtaining (normal Achromat) NH and PLL above SPlan PL.
YMMV though.

Note SPlan phase is only available in NH and PL flavor.

(Update: funds permitting I would not mind having an additional NH SPlan 20* to complement the SPlan NH 40* though. :mrgreen: )

Harold

#5 Post by Harold » Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:57 am

Pete & deBlt,

Thanks again. One opinion is just that, but two...
Because of your input, gentlemen, I'll be able to continue my phase contrast aspirations. I plan to use the money "not spent" to get and back up BH2 stand and give it the ole "Carl Hunsinger" treatment. The coarse focus on my existing scope is getting stiffer and there are other indications it could use a going over. The idea being; if my rebuild on the backup stand goes well, there's no reason it couldn't become my primary, giving me the opportunity to give my current stand the attention it needs.