anybody experienced Bottom Supplementary Source Lamp LED?

Here you can discuss different microscopic techniques and illumination methods, such as Brightfield, Darkfield, Phase Contrast, DIC, Oblique illumination, etc.
Milou

anybody experienced Bottom Supplementary Source Lamp LED?

#1 Post by Milou » Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:21 am

Hello,

As anybody already used one of these bottom Supplementary Source Lamp LED Light for Binocular Stereo Digital Microscope, like the round or square ones sold from East countries?

There are different models generally about 2 or 3.6 watts, with a light intensity adjustment.
LED bottom light.resized.png
LED bottom light.resized.png (334.33 KiB) Viewed 1344 times
As they are rather flat, between 1 and 2 cm high, they could be useful to use with a simple base as a plate, if sometimes diascopic light is needed!

I wonder if it would be adequate for lighting slides with insect genitalia for observations with a binocular microscope, in addition with other episcopic halogen light also used for they dissection?

PeteM

Re: anybody experienced Bottom Supplementary Source Lamp LED?

#2 Post by PeteM » Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:37 pm

I've bought a few and posted about them earlier. You might find that thread to see some pictures of them in action.

Pro is that they are reasonably cheap and well built and provide an even illumination that can be dimmed. They're a good option IMO for someone who occasionally wants a bit of transmitted light for a stereo microscope. I've also used them with large camera polarizers on top for things like chemical crystals (adding a polarizer below the stereo scope objective).

Con is that they aren't particularly bright, especially compared to some dedicated stereo illuminators with 50w or so tungsten halogen lamps -- and the sort of stereo microscopes most of us can afford aren't really the best tools for transmitted illumination except at very low magnifications.

Milou

Re: anybody experienced Bottom Supplementary Source Lamp LED?

#3 Post by Milou » Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:40 pm

Thank you PeteM for comments
I've been looking for threads about this led insert but only in "Illumination techniques", therefore I had missed yours in "accessories":
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=13388