SCHOTT Focusing Lens for KL1500 can be opened?

Here you can discuss different microscopic techniques and illumination methods, such as Brightfield, Darkfield, Phase Contrast, DIC, Oblique illumination, etc.
Milou

SCHOTT Focusing Lens for KL1500 can be opened?

#1 Post by Milou » Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:21 am

As this lens is not yet clear at all, I wonder if this small Schott focusing lens could be opened?

I try to unscrew the two metallic parts (seems 2 different parts!) but impossible...
Perhaps are they glued or with time, any corrosion occurs?

Anybody already open it to clean inside?
Diffuseur KL1500.png
Diffuseur KL1500.png (145.18 KiB) Viewed 1580 times

Alexander

Re: SCHOTT Focusing Lens for KL1500 can be opened?

#2 Post by Alexander » Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:13 am

The front element can be unscrewed. Corrosion is somewhat unlikely since the item is made from anodized aluminium alloy.

Milou

#3 Post by Milou » Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:36 am

Thank you

I'll therefore try again, but sure corrosion seems strong....

If ever anybody knows this lens parameters, perhaps could I change these ones as these basic lens are available for a very low cost!

enricosavazzi

#4 Post by enricosavazzi » Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:40 pm

I don't have the above Schott lens, but comparable no-brand ones. Mine, at least, contain only a planoconvex lens with the flat side facing toward the end of the light guide. The latter is placed at approximately f distance from the lens (where f is the focal length of the lens). There is no diffuser.

In principle, you should try to use a lens with diameter as wide as practical and focal length as short as possible. This will give you the highest NA and therefore the maximum efficiency (i.e. the lowest loss of light). Of course with a high NA of the lens, the effective NA of the light guide may become the limiting factor. This is where a diffuser might become useful with a high-NA lens, by spreading out the light exiting from the light guide, and better matching the NA of the lens, in spite of the inherent light losses of diffusers. You might make a simple test by adding a weak diffuser (e.g. cut out from tracing paper or a slightly translucent plastic bag) on the end of the light guide, to see whether this improves the illumination brightness and/or uniformity. It may make the light stronger or weaker, there is no simple way to know in advance. Strong diffusers like opal glass or tissue paper, however, absorb too much light to be useful.