Oblique illumination at high NA

Here you can discuss different microscopic techniques and illumination methods, such as Brightfield, Darkfield, Phase Contrast, DIC, Oblique illumination, etc.
microscopeboi

Oblique illumination at high NA

#1 Post by microscopeboi » Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:11 pm

Hey,

so im looking to get oblique illumination to work as well as it does at low na <.6 at high na >.6. Whenever i try using simple oblique techniques like setting the condenser off or using a patch the effect ruins resolution on my objectives with an NA higher than .6. i am wondering if there is a simple solution to this or possible other lighting techniques (other than DIC) that can achieve the 3D effect like basic oblique illumination while maintaining high resolution at higher NA's. I remember reading about an alternative oblique method that works but I forget what it was called. Any information is appreciated. Thanks!

richbart

Re: Oblique illumination at high NA

#2 Post by richbart » Sat Feb 05, 2022 12:56 am

I use frosted tape placed on a coverslip. Then place the cover slip on the condenser under the specimen slide withe tape side down. Then add a DF patch and close the field diaphragm until you get a bluish color. You have to toy with the diaphragm opening and field diaphragm until you get the effect you like. Under pictures and videos , I have a picture of the rotifer platyias quadricornis I took. See what you think.

Greg Howald

#3 Post by Greg Howald » Sat Feb 05, 2022 3:24 am

I read your post and couldn't resist trying it. Very good results. Greg

Greg Howald

#4 Post by Greg Howald » Sat Feb 05, 2022 7:32 pm

Here's a suggestion.

I made a filter but punching out a 1 1/4 inch spot and cut out a 3/4 hole in it that is off center. I placed a 1" spot over top of that leaving a very slender crescent 🌙.
In use I got outstanding oblique lighting from 4x to 60x when linear polarized at about thirty degrees.

It works very well. :P
Greg