AO 214F darkfield condenser part?

Here you can discuss different microscopic techniques and illumination methods, such as Brightfield, Darkfield, Phase Contrast, DIC, Oblique illumination, etc.
dtsh

AO 214F darkfield condenser part?

#1 Post by dtsh » Thu May 26, 2022 9:25 pm

This ring/collar came with my darkfield condenser, but the manual doesn't mention it and I'm not even sure it belongs with the DF condenser.

It has an insider diameter of approximately 1-7/16" (36.5mm) and an outside diameter of around 1-9/16" (39mm).
The ring is complete aside from a single hole near one edge approximatelly 3/32" diameter (2.5mm).

Can any of you enlighten me as to if it's part of the DF kit or what it might be?
AO_214F_1.jpg
AO_214F_1.jpg (162.66 KiB) Viewed 951 times
AO_214F_2.jpg
AO_214F_2.jpg (128.3 KiB) Viewed 951 times

apochronaut

Re: AO 214F darkfield condenser part?

#2 Post by apochronaut » Thu May 26, 2022 10:20 pm

The dovetail on those condensers is a slip on, fastened by two set screws. Under it is a neck of just under 37mm allowing the condenser to be used in non dovetail condenser sleeves of 37mm or larger if you put a larger adapter ring on it. I think originally, it was designed to be used on B & L as well, hence the 37mm.
Is that collar just under 37mm i.d. and is that hole threaded?

The convertible mount also allows you to lift the dovetail slightly relative to the condenser and when done so, the condenser will slide onto the later series 100 and 400 dovetail snugly enough to work quite well : for those having difficulty finding a # 1096 condenser.

dtsh

#3 Post by dtsh » Fri May 27, 2022 1:35 am

apochronaut wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 10:20 pm
The dovetail on those condensers is a slip on, fastened by two set screws. Under it is a neck of just under 37mm allowing the condenser to be used in non dovetail condenser sleeves of 37mm or larger if you put a larger adapter ring on it. I think originally, it was designed to be used on B & L as well, hence the 37mm.
Is that collar just under 37mm i.d. and is that hole threaded?

The convertible mount also allows you to lift the dovetail slightly relative to the condenser and when done so, the condenser will slide onto the later series 100 and 400 dovetail snugly enough to work quite well : for those having difficulty finding a # 1096 condenser.
ID is indeed just under 37mm and the hole does appear to be threaded, so out of curiosity I loosened the two set secrews and lifted the mount off. The ring is just a tad to small to slip over where the mount was and it's too wide to slip into the mount, so I'm still confused as to it's purpose. It's a close enough fit I think one might be able to press fit the two, but if that worked I can't imagine a non-destructive reversal.

apochronaut

#4 Post by apochronaut » Fri May 27, 2022 2:19 am

Maybe a homemade part that didn't work. I've never seen a sleeve shim like that , just the condenser with dovetail or not.
As a corollary, a Goerz 3-D condenser can receive the AO removable dovetail perfectly and thus be fitted to an AO 10 or 20. It's a slit condenser that has a set of caps, dry and oil DF plus 1.2 N.A. BF and can produce a quasi D.I.C. or COL type of 3-D. Very similar condenser to the PZO slit condenser.