Image of Dark Field condenser stop at the back focal plane of objective

Here you can discuss different microscopic techniques and illumination methods, such as Brightfield, Darkfield, Phase Contrast, DIC, Oblique illumination, etc.
EBINESH

Image of Dark Field condenser stop at the back focal plane of objective

#1 Post by EBINESH » Sat Jun 04, 2022 7:54 am

Hi,

I have a doubt on image of the condenser stop in the back focal plane of objective. For example If I am putting a 5 mm stop in the condenser, the surrounding cone of light will be focussed at slide and pass as inverted cone in the other side towards objective. But my doubt is, as the light get closer to the slide from condenser the cone converges, it means the stop size is decreasing as light goes closer to the slide. And after the cone intersects at a slide, it becomes inverted cone. My question is how will be the size of the image of the condenser stop, which was 5 mm in diameter. Whether the stop disappears or gets reduced in size at the focal point.

If my question is not clear, please consider the condenser stop (3mm in diameter ) as an object, when it pass through condenser system it gets focussed at a point where we put specimen slide. At that focal point, will I get a small sized image of the stop or the stop disappears? How can I describe what happens to the image of stop at the focussed point before becoming inverted cone.

Your comments are valuable, awaiting for a better understanding.

Thanks
Ebinesh