Leitz Dialuc ICT (DIC) system setup

Here you can discuss different microscopic techniques and illumination methods, such as Brightfield, Darkfield, Phase Contrast, DIC, Oblique illumination, etc.
solos42

Leitz Dialuc ICT (DIC) system setup

#1 Post by solos42 » Fri Aug 04, 2023 6:00 pm

Hi
I am researcher about fish parasites. I bought an old Leitz Wetzlar Dialux 22 microscope. It has phase condenser. But I suppose that it is spoilt. I don't know if I can do it myself.

I think to set DIC (ICT) system for slides. I read DIC system manual (as attached pdf)

From what I've researched internet, the dic systems of this microscope are few and expensive. Can I use alternative parts instead? Is the PZO dic system, or Zeiss dic system compatible with this microscope?
I think if I provide the following parts, will I have completed the ict system?

1.25x revolving nosepiece (objective prism turret)
analyzer
centering key for Watson prisms and phase rings
polarizer
lambda compensator
universal condenser with turret plate

I look forward to your help and explanations.
Regards

https://earth2geologists.net/Microscope ... trastT.pdf
http://www.science-info.net/docs/leitz/ ... _Newer.pdf
Attachments
20230804_195935.jpg
20230804_195935.jpg (56.64 KiB) Viewed 1345 times
20230804_195903.jpg
20230804_195903.jpg (50.52 KiB) Viewed 1345 times
20230804_201233.jpg
20230804_201233.jpg (64.83 KiB) Viewed 1345 times
20230804_201048.jpg
20230804_201048.jpg (84.06 KiB) Viewed 1345 times
20230804_201039.jpg
20230804_201039.jpg (86.31 KiB) Viewed 1345 times

PeteM

Re: Leitz Dialuc ICT (DIC) system setup

#2 Post by PeteM » Fri Aug 04, 2023 7:18 pm

Your Dialux is a fine microscope. However, as you already know, a full set of DIC components for it will likely be difficult and expensive to find.

I suggest using it as is for brightfield, phase contrast, and darkfield illumination. Phase should help identify some parasites, and darkfield may give you some of the ability of DIC to identify fine structures. You may be delighted with the results and feel this is all you need. High-power darkfield condensers for it are somewhat commonly available.

You might then broaden your search to a good microscope with a complete and competent DIC system. There's a post somewhere on this site from an owner with a complete Leitz finite system - search that to find all the components you'll need. More than you presently consider. I've only seen one condenser come up for sale in the past five years or so (and it went for $$$) and random upper prisms now and then.

At least in the US, you're more likely to find (and at less expense) a complete DIC system from another maker. This might be in the $3000+ (if lucky, for something like a complete Olympus BH2 or Zeiss Standard) to $6000+ range (if moderately fortunate, for something like a Nikon Eclipse or Olympus BX). Among those to consider - with good systems and more likely to be found within that budget:

- American Optical H20 or more recent Reichert (about as rare as Leitz ICT)
- Leica DM infinite (making sure to get consistent "Delta" or "HC/HCX" optics)
- Nikon Optiphot or Microphot (somewhat common, somewhat affordable, very nice)
- Nikon E600 or E800 Eclipse (somewhat common, truly excellent, but a bit less affordable)
- Olympus BH2 (likely BHS) (very good, a few come up on eBay each year)
- Olympus BX (somewhat common, also excellent, priced about the same as Nikon Eclipse)
- Possibly PZO. The objectives are a bit long in the tooth, but the prisms can be adapted to selected other objectives and eyepieces if you're handy)
- Zeiss Standard from one of four generations (fairly common, very nice if not delaminated)

solos42

#3 Post by solos42 » Fri Aug 04, 2023 9:26 pm

Dear PeteM, thank you for your instructive explanations. Sorry for my bad English. According to his explanations, I will continue my research with my current microscope. After all, it is a dream for me to buy the brands you mentioned. Because in my country, 1 dollar is 27 times our own money. If I try to buy it from America, I have to pay the price of the microscope itself with taxes and shipping :-))

PeteM

#4 Post by PeteM » Sat Aug 05, 2023 1:21 am

Solos, I think your Dialux will prove a joy to use, even without DIC. You might look for a higher-power darkfield condenser, which might be had for little money and be easy to ship if bought abroad.

Scoper

#5 Post by Scoper » Sun Aug 06, 2023 3:27 am

PeteM wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2023 7:18 pm
Your Dialux is a fine microscope. However, as you already know, a full set of DIC components for it will likely be difficult and expensive to find.

I suggest using it as is for brightfield, phase contrast, and darkfield illumination. Phase should help identify some parasites, and darkfield may give you some of the ability of DIC to identify fine structures. You may be delighted with the results and feel this is all you need. High-power darkfield condensers for it are somewhat commonly available.

You might then broaden your search to a good microscope with a complete and competent DIC system. There's a post somewhere on this site from an owner with a complete Leitz finite system - search that to find all the components you'll need. More than you presently consider. I've only seen one condenser come up for sale in the past five years or so (and it went for $$$) and random upper prisms now and then.

At least in the US, you're more likely to find (and at less expense) a complete DIC system from another maker. This might be in the $3000+ (if lucky, for something like a complete Olympus BH2 or Zeiss Standard) to $6000+ range (if moderately fortunate, for something like a Nikon Eclipse or Olympus BX). Among those to consider - with good systems and more likely to be found within that budget:

- American Optical H20 or more recent Reichert (about as rare as Leitz ICT)
- Leica DM infinite (making sure to get consistent "Delta" or "HC/HCX" optics)
- Nikon Optiphot or Microphot (somewhat common, somewhat affordable, very nice)
- Nikon E600 or E800 Eclipse (somewhat common, truly excellent, but a bit less affordable)
- Olympus BH2 (likely BHS) (very good, a few come up on eBay each year)
- Olympus BX (somewhat common, also excellent, priced about the same as Nikon Eclipse)
- Possibly PZO. The objectives are a bit long in the tooth, but the prisms can be adapted to selected other objectives and eyepieces if you're handy)
- Zeiss Standard from one of four generations (fairly common, very nice if not delaminated)
Excellent info..thanks