Question about UM/FMPLF and BD-type objectives in R-DIC/DF

Here you can discuss different microscopic techniques and illumination methods, such as Brightfield, Darkfield, Phase Contrast, DIC, Oblique illumination, etc.
erikwetterskog

Question about UM/FMPLF and BD-type objectives in R-DIC/DF

#1 Post by erikwetterskog » Fri Oct 27, 2023 1:33 pm

Hello,

Trying to figure out what objectives I should get for an Oly reflected DIC/DF setup with U-RLA.

I have been offered both UMPLFL BD (10x-20x) objectives as well as an LMPLFN 10x objective for reasonable prices. Any of these objectives will work with U-DICR. I’m also interested in playing around with DF in the episcopic regime.

I realized that the BD-objectives require a special nosepiece, which is not that common. What is the advantages of BD-objectives. Is it possible to use the non/BD LMPLF in darkfield? I understand that I need the U-RLA illuminator which supports darkfield. I also see that the UM/Bd objectives have slightly higher NA and shorter WD than the LM-objectives.

Does anyone have documentation on this system?

Thanks in advance!
Nikon S-Ke - Old goodie
Olympus CX40 - Fluorescence [Selling]
Olympus BX61 - Phase contrast, DIC, fluorescence [Work-in-progress]

Scarodactyl

Re: Question about UM/FMPLF and BD-type objectives in R-DIC/DF

#2 Post by Scarodactyl » Fri Oct 27, 2023 4:34 pm

You could sort of do darkfield without a bd objective by applying a ring light to the end of the objective, but that is involved and will likely affect working distance at least. Darkfield is nice but DIC can give a similar effect if tuned right.