Brightfield cube in U-RFAA (Olympus), compatible with DICR?

Here you can discuss different microscopic techniques and illumination methods, such as Brightfield, Darkfield, Phase Contrast, DIC, Oblique illumination, etc.
erikwetterskog

Brightfield cube in U-RFAA (Olympus), compatible with DICR?

#1 Post by erikwetterskog » Sat Jan 06, 2024 10:18 am

Hello,

I’m getting closer to my final setup. While waiting for the final parts of my Oly setup to arrive, I’m thinking about RDIC.

I have the DICR, the UPO3, and the U-RFAA. Rather than changing the illuminator to a U-RLAA I wanted to use a brightfield cube U-MBF3, for example.

For observation with DICR and brightfield reflected light. I guess this is the intended use. I’m just going to change my Cool LED 300 for a the HAL100 when making these observations. Will this work?

Secondly. Can I get away with the cheaper fixed polarizer U-AN or do I need the pricey U-AN-360? Is there a difference between version 1,2 and 3?
Nikon S-Ke - Old goodie
Olympus CX40 - Fluorescence [Selling]
Olympus BX61 - Phase contrast, DIC, fluorescence [Work-in-progress]

Macro_Cosmos

Re: Brightfield cube in U-RFAA (Olympus), compatible with DICR?

#2 Post by Macro_Cosmos » Wed Jan 10, 2024 4:12 am

1. Works
2. Why change to Halogen? PE-300 would work well.
3. No, unless you only want the polarisers always crossed which limits functionality.

-1: one rotatable analyser, no passthrough slot
-2: with passthrough slot
-3: same as above but there are lots of fakes from a Nanjing factory flooding the market.

Get the u-an360-p, the superior strain free version. You have a PE-300 and a good setup, the extra cost is worth it.

I assume you know this already, dicr only officially works with Evident's metallurgical objectives.

Scarodactyl

#3 Post by Scarodactyl » Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:48 am

But to follow up on the last point you'll likely get acceptable to good results with a wider variety of objectives than you'd expect.

erikwetterskog

#4 Post by erikwetterskog » Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:13 am

Hello,

Very good! I did get the U-AN cheaply from a US seller, still with the original packaging. I also got the PO3 from what I’m pretty sure is a legitimate source.

Regarding the Chinese fakes, is the whole thing counterfeit or only the glass? How do you tell?

I’m probably going to splash the cash for the 360-version next month. I only have a 5x LMPlFl up to this point. But enough to get me starting. Would be fantastic to add in at least a 20x. But I’m going to test my other objectives as well.

Man this, microscope, is starting to become quite the investment. Even if I got most parts as bargains.
Nikon S-Ke - Old goodie
Olympus CX40 - Fluorescence [Selling]
Olympus BX61 - Phase contrast, DIC, fluorescence [Work-in-progress]