Microflash - some thoughts

Here you can discuss different microscopic techniques and illumination methods, such as Brightfield, Darkfield, Phase Contrast, DIC, Oblique illumination, etc.
IanW

Microflash - some thoughts

#1 Post by IanW » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:51 am

Since one of my main interests with microscopes is using them to make quality photographs, I have arrived at the conclusion that using electronic flash is essential, particularly with photographing objects suspended in solution at higher magnifications. I have read a few articles on DIY set-ups, and some seem ludicrously complex (for those with little or no electronic/mechanical expertise) set-ups. The simplest solution seems to be to continue using the existing halogen/LED light source but bypassing it with a beam-splitter (glass slide) placed above the light source, with a nearby positioned flash gun. That way one can set up Koehler illumination, continue to view the subject and take flash photo at the same time.

Now.... here's the problem. This will work fine with my Zeiss Standard microscope, but I am wondering how things will fare with my Zeiss Jena NF since this microscope has the iris diaphragm sitting on top of the light source, separated from the condenser. Bypassing the light source with a beam-splitter to obtain flash will presumably also bypass the iris diaphragm.

I would be interested to hear people's thoughts on this and suggestions to help with micro-flash photography.

Thanks in advance (my flashgun arrives Saturday :-)
Zeiss Jena NF, Zeiss Standard 18 and WL

apochronaut

Re: Microflash - some thoughts

#2 Post by apochronaut » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:41 pm

I would be concerned that their wouldn't be enough beam splitting , using a slide. as the beam splitter. The possibility is only around 5%.

I'm not quite sure what you mean about the iris location on the NF stand. The Pancratic condenser has a condenser iris at the bottom but is there also not a field iris in the base? I would think you would want the condenser iris open all the way anyway.

zzffnn

#3 Post by zzffnn » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:52 pm

Ian,

With your Jena NF, you may have to:
1) just don't do Kohler and diffuse flash head; or
2) change light source to off-scope LED and then beam split off scope /near LED.

You probably don't even have enough space on your Jena NF to put in a beam splitter. That pancratic condenser takes up too much under stage space.

My experience echoes apo's concern. At high magnification, oblique or darkfield, a regular slide is far less efficient than a real be splitter (plate or cube) and did not work for me.
Last edited by zzffnn on Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

billbillt

#4 Post by billbillt » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:42 pm

Here is how one person solved this problem:

http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/ind ... flash.html

BillT

IanW

#5 Post by IanW » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:25 pm

Thank you all for your thoughts so far which has given me some useful avenues to explore. I got my flash gun today so will try things out and report back in a while, Cheers all!

75RR

#6 Post by 75RR » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:28 pm

billbillt wrote:Here is how one person solved this problem:
http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/ind ... .htmlBillT
Good solution. A prism that would let light through vertically and also bounce light at 90 degrees via a lever might also work.
I bought one hoping it would, but have not had a chance to test the idea yet.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

IanW

#7 Post by IanW » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:54 am

75RR wrote:
billbillt wrote:Here is how one person solved this problem:
http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/ind ... .htmlBillT
Good solution. A prism that would let light through vertically and also bounce light at 90 degrees via a lever might also work.
I bought one hoping it would, but have not had a chance to test the idea yet.

That sounds interesting. Could you perhaps post a picture of it or link to where you purchased it please 75RR?

I have carried out some preliminary experiments using my Zeiss Jena NF. As zzffnn mentioned, there is only a little space beneath the pancratic condenser, but enough (without the the additional phase contrast attachment) to fit a small glass slide / beam splitter / mirror. I used a glass cover slip and managed to bounce the flash using a X10 objective. It's early days, and I will see later how I fare using more powerful objectives. In order to use phase contrast I could remove the condenser iris condenser (mounted on the base of the scope) to allow an additional centimeter space to fit beam splitter, and still be able to use both LED light source and flash simultaneously.

75RR

#8 Post by 75RR » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:27 am

That sounds interesting. Could you perhaps post a picture of it or link to where you purchased it please 75RR?
Got it on ebay last year for about $15
I think it is originally from a Zeiss Photomicroscope or perhaps a IM35 - unfortunately the link no longer works.
Have it packed away so could not find it but I seem to recall that it is about 10 cm long - did have some photos of it from the original ebay ad.

75RR

#9 Post by 75RR » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:10 pm

A neat Lego solution I just remembered about: http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... 1d3510ef1d

IanW

#10 Post by IanW » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:44 am

Thank you for the update 75RR.

That lego set up is something I was considering having seen an old advert from the 1950s for a Leica microflash system that used this exact set up (not with lego:-)

I have ordered a 20mm cube beam splitter from Surplus Shed, so hope that it will be fit for the job as I notice that a 30mm cube was used by PAU.

Thanks again.