Epi DIC woes

Here you can discuss different microscopic techniques and illumination methods, such as Brightfield, Darkfield, Phase Contrast, DIC, Oblique illumination, etc.
Scarodactyl

Re: Epi DIC woes

#91 Post by Scarodactyl » Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:29 pm

The color banding is because it was shot with a Nikon objective which was not quite matched to the prism (I think I didn't swap the splan back on because I didn't have the olympus head with the nfk mounted and swapping it on would have been a pain for a quick shot). Partial mismatches give color gradients which may or may not be bothersome, worse mismatches give a tiny band of dic detail in the middle with rainbow bands around.

Mitutoyos are almost totally compatible with my nikon prism with only a little color gradienting, little enough to not ruin images. I also just rechecked my olympus lmplanfl 50x and 100x, and they give basically flawless DIC. I had tried thr 50x before with bad results, but just remembered I probably had a parfocal spacer on it when I did which is a bad idea for dic.

Scarodactyl

#92 Post by Scarodactyl » Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:19 am

Kind of a finishing note for me, but I got an Image of Distinction in the Nikon Small world contest this year for a shot taken with the new setup.
I really do think the Olympus system could take excellent shots and there are only one or two circumstances where it would have issues--but since those show up in my subjects a lot for me the Nikon system has ended up being pretty ideal. The only downside is I still have an urge to buy DIC equipment, the darned stuff is almost as addictive as actually shooting with DIC. But I think I will find it a bit easier to resist it from now on, my quest is over.

Hobbyst46

#93 Post by Hobbyst46 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:07 am

Scarodactyl wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:19 am
Kind of a finishing note for me, but I got an Image of Distinction in the Nikon Small world contest this year for a shot taken with the new setup.
Bravo to a very fine and pretty photo. To me it looks like the image of the slopes of a snow-topped mountain ridge, sprinkled with small rocks...

75RR

#94 Post by 75RR » Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:57 pm

Scarodactyl wrote:
Congratulations!
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

eKretz2

#95 Post by eKretz2 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:49 am

Nice one!

Adam Long

#96 Post by Adam Long » Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:57 am

Excellent result!
Just a general note. I recently bought a Zeiss universal with epi DIC to restore/try out/sell on. This is not new info, but I can confirm the Zeiss system felt much better to me than the contemporary Olympus, Nikon and Bausch and Lomb options I have tried--it is at least as good as my modern Nikon system. This is the one you want to seek out among those options. There are disadvantages: short working distance, limited nosepiece options, and the inability to remove the prisms from the light path for normal epi (in addition to the other issues with old zeiss scopes) But the optical quality is great, there's almost no visible doubling and it has great color and resolution. I am waiting on a replacement stage and a better camera hookup, but pictures will be incoming.
I recently got a great deal on a Zeiss Universal set up for photographing circuit boards - Epi with polarizers - and was thinking of trying epi-DIC. Is it just a case of adding the objective and prism? Do you need the wave plate to get the colours?

Scarodactyl

#97 Post by Scarodactyl » Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:47 pm

If it already has epi set up you just need to get the epiplan objectives with inko prisms. You don't need a separate quarter wave plate with them. Just look out for delam.

eKretz2

#98 Post by eKretz2 » Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:20 am

I just ran into another Olympus epi prism that someone had lying around, it's a bit different style. It's got a colored number on it and has a slider instead of the flip-out mechanism for the prism, but the prism can be slid all the way out to use brightfield and darkfield. There are a couple complete eBay scopes that seem to have this style, will be interesting to see how it compares. I haven't seen this particular style mentioned in any Olympus literature I don't think. Anybody have any experience with these?

LouiseScot

#99 Post by LouiseScot » Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:09 am

Scarodactyl wrote:
I really do think the Olympus system could take excellent shots and there are only one or two circumstances where it would have issues--but since those show up in my subjects a lot for me the Nikon system has ended up being pretty ideal. The only downside is I still have an urge to buy DIC equipment, the darned stuff is almost as addictive as actually shooting with DIC. But I think I will find it a bit easier to resist it from now on, my quest is over.
Well done! - Congratulations!

Louise
A Nikon CF plan 20x; A Swift 380T; A DIY infinity corrected focus rail system with a 40x/0.65 Olympus Plan, a 10x/0.30 Amscope Plan Fluor, and a 20x/0.75 Nikon Plan Apo

urbanpiper3

#100 Post by urbanpiper3 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:26 am

Scarodactyl wrote:
Congratulations! Wish I was early to this DIC discussion party. You deserve it.

So did we finally locate the cause for doubling effect at lower NA/mag objectives on Olympus ?
Mucho gracias -
James Blackwood

Scarodactyl

#101 Post by Scarodactyl » Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:25 am

I actually have another harebrained hypothesis which I have not tested. But I wonder if the prisms I had were meant for a different stand, and if the distance between prism and polarizer/analyzer is the issue. I remember when setting up my Zeiss system that I put a spacer on an objective hat didn't need one (above the dic prism), and I noticed what looked like worse doubling. I have renovations wrapping up soon (fingers crossed) and hopefully I can test it after.