Forum Update

Due to the large number of spam registrations, I have temporarily deactivated the possibility to sign up, until I have checked all the registrations. If you want to sign up for the forum, please email me and I will register you manually.
admin
Site Admin

Forum Update

#1 Post by admin » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:09 pm

Dear Microscopy Enthusiasts!

You probably have noticed, that this forum now looks a bit different than it used to. It was updated to the newest version, which was recommended for a variety of reasons, including security and performance. In addition I updated the PHP version (for those who are interested in technical details) and this should also speed up the forum and website a bit.

The forum was therefore offline for a few hours and sometimes even error messages were displayed, but I am happy that everything now works again as before.

Unfortunately I was not able to keep the old Forum Style, becasue it is not compatible to the new Forum version anymore. I was notified by a member (Thank You for this) that the Quotes did not properly work anymore, and this was indeed one sign of incompatibility.

I searched for a compatible style and found a style which looks similar. The current version now has the author information on the right (it used to be on the left) and I think that the reason why they have moved this was to make it more readable on small screens. I hope that we will all get used to the new appearance.

Some Interesting statistics: Every day about 38 posts are posted and 4 new topics are started on average. There are 69370 total posts on the forum, and 1326 users.

Happy Microbe Hunting as always!
Oliver.
Science may set limits to knowledge, but should not set limits to imagination.
(Bertrand Russell)

MichaelG.

Re: Forum Update

#2 Post by MichaelG. » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:47 pm

Thanks for letting us know, Oliver

The business with quotes was rather disturbing at first, but I'm sure we will be comfortable with it soon.

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

PeteM

#3 Post by PeteM » Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:39 am

Thanks Oliver, for keeping this great resource going.

jimur

#4 Post by jimur » Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:49 am

Thanks for all your hard work Oliver.
"You're never too old to have a happy childhood"
Leitz Wetzlar SM-LUX
Olympus IM
Canon 450D

MicroBob

#5 Post by MicroBob » Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:36 am

Hi Oliver,

thank you very much for the work you have put into updating the system. I don't know much about forum administration but I'm sure this keeps you quite busy - for the advantage of us forum users.
One thing that might be improved: There are frequent spam posts, mostly from first time posters, sometimes from posters who are long identified as spammers. As far as I know it is possible to automatically keep spammers away. Do you see a possibility to install this here?

Bob

75RR

#6 Post by 75RR » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:27 pm

Many thanks for your time and energy.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

mintakax

#7 Post by mintakax » Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:28 am

Yes, thank you so much ! Being new to this endeavor, I have found this forum to be a tremendous source of help and information.

lightshape

#8 Post by lightshape » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:51 pm

Thank you so much for running and maintaining microbehunter and this great forum.