Dolichodorus, female

About the shape and function of different specimens
BramHuntingNematodes

Dolichodorus, female

#1 Post by BramHuntingNematodes » Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:14 pm

These like the muck and flooded pots though this one was found in the banks of a lily pond in nova scotia and is a model for some glycerin mounts I would like to make
1942 Bausch and Lomb Series T Dynoptic, Custom Illumination

BramHuntingNematodes

Re: Dolichodorus, female

#2 Post by BramHuntingNematodes » Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:21 am

Here is another glycerin mount showing a good view of the median bulb this slide was made in 1963 and remains in remarkably good shape. Some worms in these ancient slides are ruined-- filled with globules that obscure the internal organs. I don't know if this is the result of time, or poor fixation procedure at the start or both.

This was taken using a gradient oblique, essentially two stacked ND filters that encroach on the light between the field and condenser irises

Phase, obv

This is using a Nikon 60x 1.4 Plan Apo phase lens which is very nice and presents fantastic views but somehow is extremely difficult to photograph with, perhaps due to the miniscule DOF. Nematode mounts are not thick but neither are they maximally thin as small glass rods or beads are always arranged under the coverslip to prevent crushing. Maybe I could try some stacking again.

I have a 7.5x compens eyepiece for the Dynoptic that I think could possibly help with some of the vignetting in my afocal setup maybe I can eventually post a comparison.

Glycerin mounts don't look to be overly complicated and use a minimum of chemicals, but to make them without some very controlled incubation and other close supervision can take many weeks.
1942 Bausch and Lomb Series T Dynoptic, Custom Illumination

dtsh

Re: Dolichodorus, female

#3 Post by dtsh » Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:23 pm

I had no idea a glycerin mount would remain usable for that long and still look that good.