Contractile vacuole pore

About the shape and function of different specimens
Martin Parnham

Contractile vacuole pore

#1 Post by Martin Parnham » Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:18 am

Hi Folks - Winter is still depleting life in my usual water sources, so carrying on with observations on Paramecium from the jam jar on the windowsill. I thought it would be interesting to try observe and record/measure the contractile vacuole pore.
The CV is the osmo-regulatory organelle which removes excess water drawn into the cytoplasm by osmosis. The water potential of the cytoplasm is less than the surrounding water in which they live. This causes a net flow of water inwards, the excess must be removed or the cell would burst. The water is gathered via channels into a central vacuole. Contraction of microfibers causes the vacuole to squeeze the water out through a canal and out of a pore found in the organisms pellicle (outer 'skin').

Good outline diagram here - http://www.expertsmind.com/topic/eukary ... 92543.aspx

The pore is small and even with the organisms slowed down by methyl-cellulose difficult to track and focus upon. The video shows some stills with dimensions followed by my attempts to record moving footage.
Perhaps not the most visually exciting subject but hopefully still of some interest.

I did use digital zoom / 'empty' magnification at times to enhance visibility if not detail!

Martin

Brunel Microscope SP300, Plan, Achro, either oblique or Rheinburg oblique, either x60 or x100 (oil), filmed on Samsung Galaxy A13 phone.

macnmotion

Re: Contractile vacuole pore

#2 Post by macnmotion » Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:57 am

Fascinating work!