Hi EVeryone from SW Ontario.

What is your microscopy history? What are your interests? What equipment do you use?
notthatkindofDr

Hi EVeryone from SW Ontario.

#1 Post by notthatkindofDr » Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:46 am

Hi Everyone
I've used microscopes through undergrad and grad school, but this was for serious work, nothing "for fun"....
I recently purchased an old leitz laborlux K, this was a microscope that is cobbled together from parts that were in a recycling bin... not ideal, but this cost me $50 cad... it turns on and so far the objectives work, the combo fine.coarse adjust knob is a bit gritty... anyways, im hoping to have some fun with this scope... hopefully i can find some resources online about disassembling and cleaning this thing up.
Keep an eye out for a bunch of questions from me!

tgss

Re: Hi EVeryone from SW Ontario.

#2 Post by tgss » Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:47 am

Hi notthatkindofDr
From one SW Ontarian to another, welcome to the forum. Whatever questions you may have, there are lots of knowledgeable folk here that can probably answer them, or at least point you in the right direction. And yes... I hope you do have fun!
Tom W.

apochronaut

#3 Post by apochronaut » Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:30 pm

Welcome. There seem to be a lot of Ontarians here? Old Leitz are great because compared to a lot of older scopes, there are quite a few parts and accessories around and they don't usually çommand high prices, especially when the seller is a dumpster. I searched high and low for a condenser to complete an old research scope for years and the part eventually came from a dumpster in the environs of T.O. .....only I had to pay 30.00 to a middleman dumpster diver, who's day job was as a Keith Moon lookalike playing in a Who tribute band.
Gentle cleaning. It is amazing how much the image will improve with gentle cleaning of the available lens surfaces. You will need at least 6 clean swab ends per surface.
Have fun.

notthatkindofDr

#4 Post by notthatkindofDr » Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:07 pm

Hi
Thanks for the warm welcome!
Yes, when i heard the story about this thing originating from the dumpster, i had to save it... its got a head unit made in portugal, others from germany, a real cosmopolitan microscope!
Im glad there are parts available.,... I must admit, I really know nothing about microscope maintenance or repair... are there good resources where I can learn about this? I'd like to start slowly... clean it up, and lube what needs to be lubed etc.

Red_Green

#5 Post by Red_Green » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:51 pm

G'day eh, I am from Eastern Ontario. Not too far from the Ottawa.