Hello from Michigan USA

What is your microscopy history? What are your interests? What equipment do you use?
Lizzy

Hello from Michigan USA

#1 Post by Lizzy » Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:20 am

Hello, I’m brand new to microscopy. I have an interest in mycology (the study of mushrooms) and started researching getting a microscope to help me identify them. I also have an interest in macro photography going back a long time, but never made the leap to microscopes. I really enjoy the beauty of the view through a microscope. Right now, I’m going through the decision of purchasing new like an Amscope, or older with no warranty, but possibly better build quality. I enjoy viewing and reading about the diy lighting techniques, using homemade filters and techniques like oblique lighting. I am thinking about getting an older scope with phase contrast. Best regards, Lizzy

Sure Squintsalot

Re: Hello from Michigan USA

#2 Post by Sure Squintsalot » Fri Mar 24, 2023 5:14 am

Good luck finding that "perfect scope"!

It's an embarassment of riches around here when it comes to knowledgeable advice, so, put on your waders and hop in!

Javier

#3 Post by Javier » Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:02 pm

Welcome!

zzffnn

#4 Post by zzffnn » Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:15 pm

Hello, Lizzy. Have you researched the cost of a phase contrast microscope system with trinocular head?

I have such a trinocular American Optical Spencer series 4 system, built by myself for phase contrast and DIY oblique and darkfield. I may sell it, because I have too many microscopes in the house now.