Thin section microscopy

What is your microscopy history? What are your interests? What equipment do you use?
Robert_R

Thin section microscopy

#1 Post by Robert_R » Fri Jun 09, 2023 2:50 am

Hi,
My name is Rob, and I use polarizing microscopes to look at rock thin-sections. I don't know much about "Microbes" but I enjoy reading about a wide variety of microscope topics here. I figured it was time to introduce myself and say hello.
Rob
Attachments
OrthoplanPol.jpg
OrthoplanPol.jpg (159.46 KiB) Viewed 1358 times

PeteM

Re: Thin section microscopy

#2 Post by PeteM » Fri Jun 09, 2023 4:35 am

Nice scope, Rob - and welcome. Do you make your own thin sections?

Robert_R

#3 Post by Robert_R » Fri Jun 09, 2023 4:56 am

Hi PeteM. Thanks for asking. I do make thin sections. I have a thin-section saw and grinder. It is fun to collect a rock, prepare it, and finally explore it through a microscope.

PeteM

#4 Post by PeteM » Fri Jun 09, 2023 5:37 am

Very cool, Rob. The process, at least as I understand it, seems painstaking. Though, as you suggest, very rewarding. If you're up to posting how you go about it and the results, I suspect dozens of us would b interested.

Robert_R

#5 Post by Robert_R » Fri Jun 09, 2023 5:49 am

PeteM,

I just realized that we may have crossed paths before. Are you the fellow that does microscopy outreach for young students in California? If so, thank you for what you do!

I'm happy to describe the thin section process as I've learned to do it. And of course, I'd be happy to learn from others that share the same interests. I'd need to take some photos of equipment, and maybe this topic belongs in another part of the forum. But here is an example of one slide that I made and photographed.

San Carlos peridotite in polarized light:
http://www.gigapan.com/gigapans/227829

Rob

PeteM

#6 Post by PeteM » Fri Jun 09, 2023 7:05 am

Robert_R wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 5:49 am
PeteM,

I just realized that we may have crossed paths before. Are you the fellow that does microscopy outreach for young students in California? . . .
Rob
Hi Rob, could be me. One of my retirement projects is running a kids' "Micronaut" program in the Bay Area - mostly Santa Cruz.

It would be very cool if there were a way for older kids to prepare petrographic slides. I've assumed the cost of proper saws and polishing equipment - and the time and patience involved - puts that out of reach. But maybe not? For now, chemical crystals dried on a slide are pretty easy and still very cool.

Robert_R

#7 Post by Robert_R » Fri Jun 09, 2023 1:46 pm

Yes, I remember you telling me about Miconaut. It sounds like an impactful program.

Having expensive equipment for making thin sections is convenient, but not necessary. People have been making thin sections by hand since the mid-1800's. It is within reach for the motivated student and of course, any transmitting microscope can be easily modified for crossed-polars.

Here is a description of a technique somebody has used (although I'd choose a different glue).

https://www.lpl.arizona.edu/~rhill/foss ... -sect.html