Hello from an Old Newbie

What is your microscopy history? What are your interests? What equipment do you use?
Skyfog

Hello from an Old Newbie

#1 Post by Skyfog » Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:05 pm

Hello from the US Great Lakes,,,
I am basically a wide-ranging geek, interested in a number of things including photography, radio and electronics, and astronomy. (My UserID, which I've used for many years in various places, refers to fogged film caused by background sky brightness in astrophotographs).
My interest in microscopy began in elementary school. Two friends and I formed the "Microscope Club" (very creative name) in 5-th or 6-th grade, and we would go to each others' houses to meet, set up our 'scopes, and look at stuff. We even put on a microscope demonstration for our 6-th grade class. This sort of thing was really over the top back then, and we were all branded as geek-heads from then on. I am now in my 60's, and still at it.
A number of years ago my interest in microscopes was rekindled, I think by the similarities between microphotography and astrophotography, and I acquired a National Optics model 163 with the Motic phase contrast equipment. Since then (off and on) I've been trying to improve my photographic images of whatever is handy to stick under the lens. Lately, I've been working on white blood cells, and pollen found in honey.
Technically I'm very much still a novice, so I will be asking questions about what is probably pretty basic stuff for many of you, but ya gotta start somewhere, eh?
I'm very impressed with many of the images I've seen on this site, and I hope someday to contribute some of my own that will measure up to that high standard.
Thanks,
--Skyfog

Crater Eddie

Re: Hello from an Old Newbie

#2 Post by Crater Eddie » Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:13 pm

Welcome! Sounds like we share many interests. I look forward to your blood slides, I have a particular interest there myself.
CE
Olympus BH-2 / BHTU
LOMO BIOLAM L-2-2
LOMO POLAM L-213 / BIOLAM L-211 hybrid
LOMO Multiscope (Biolam)
Cameras: Canon T3i, Olympus E-P1 MFT, Amscope 3mp USB

KurtM

#3 Post by KurtM » Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:28 pm

Welcome, you'll find good company here among amateur astronomers masquerading as microscopy nuts. I go back far enough to know what sky fog is ... why, I still (vaguely) recall how to hyper Tech Pan, and the joys of fine tuning alignment by drifting (don't forget to trip over a tripod leg as your final step). My gosh, does that ever bring back fond memories... :P

I like taking pictures through microscopes in brightly lit labs with digital gear SO much better! :lol:
Cheers,
Kurt Maurer
League City, Texas
email: ngc704(at)gmail(dot)com
https://www.flickr.com/photos/67904872@ ... 912223623/

gekko

#4 Post by gekko » Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:30 pm

Welcome Skyfog!

Skyfog

#5 Post by Skyfog » Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:08 pm

Thanks All,,, Glad to make your acquaintance.

(KurtM: HAHA Tech Pan in hot HC-110! OMG)

--Skyfog

charlie

#6 Post by charlie » Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:56 pm

KurtM wrote:Welcome, you'll find good company here among amateur astronomers masquerading as microscopy nuts.
I resemble that remark Kurt, with dozens of TeleVues.

Welcome to MicrobeHunter.com Microscopy Forum Skyfog! You are right, lots of talented folks here.

Skyfog

#7 Post by Skyfog » Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:30 pm

charlie,,, Ever seen this? :)

--Skyfog
Attachments
I think this was originally posted at TSP some past year.
I think this was originally posted at TSP some past year.
AlNaglerAsAKid.png (51.55 KiB) Viewed 9259 times

JimT

#8 Post by JimT » Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:53 pm

Skyfog, welcome. I really liked the cartoon :D

JimT

rnabholz

#9 Post by rnabholz » Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:33 pm

Welcome Skyfog,

As another one who has been known to point optics skyward at night from time to time, there seems to be an attraction for us to microscopy.

I am only about a year into my journey on the micro side, but I can testify to the kindness, knowledge and talent I have experienced here. It is a great community.

Looking forward to your contributions.

Rod

Dale

#10 Post by Dale » Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:43 am

Welcome from Seattle Skyfog. How do you prepare honey for pollen observation? Just smear and
scan? Stain with peanut butter?
Dale
B&L Stereozoom 4. Nikon E600. AO Biostar 1820.

charlie g

#11 Post by charlie g » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:15 am

Welcome, skyfog...yup...a gathering of hobby astronomers enjoy this forum...I love my 6" f5 Sky Watcher achro(purchased from VanCover Telescope back when these were not US distributed).

Good to see you join this forum! Star ship Peranema passes planetary nebulae...and an ancient globular cluster inhabits our galaxie's haloe...err, I might have mixed up my hobbies images, my bad.

all the best, 63 F in finger lakes,NY yesterday...gulp. charlie guevara
Attachments
380.JPG
380.JPG (43.47 KiB) Viewed 9234 times
382.JPG
382.JPG (56.85 KiB) Viewed 9234 times

KurtM

#12 Post by KurtM » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:43 am

Yep, always seemed to me like astronomy and microscopy should go hand in hand. I mean, it's the same thing, only different. I'm forever amazed at how few amateur astronomers own/use microscopes, while it's fairly typical to hear that a microscopy enthusiast owns/uses telescopes. So hooray for us on this end of the field!

But then, amateur astronomers are jumpy, and I can't blame 'em. From them, I often hear something like "my god the last thing I need is another money hole hobby!" But microscopy is worlds more manageable. I own so many microscopes the house is settling on one end, but all told I bet my eyepiece case alone (yes, stuffed with Naglers) is worth more in replacement value than the entire lot, including all the accessories and supplies. :P

Yes, I have ten tons of astronomical crap too. Anyone want to buy it? :roll:
Cheers,
Kurt Maurer
League City, Texas
email: ngc704(at)gmail(dot)com
https://www.flickr.com/photos/67904872@ ... 912223623/

Crater Eddie

#13 Post by Crater Eddie » Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:20 am

I just got a SkyShed Pod for our C11. Do I qualify?
CE
Olympus BH-2 / BHTU
LOMO BIOLAM L-2-2
LOMO Multiscope (Biolam)

Dale

#14 Post by Dale » Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:33 am

Does your Pod resemble this one?
Attachments
831e.jpg
831e.jpg (40.5 KiB) Viewed 9222 times
B&L Stereozoom 4. Nikon E600. AO Biostar 1820.

Crater Eddie

#15 Post by Crater Eddie » Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:58 am

:lol: Not yet, but it probably will by the end of next summer!
I went with the desert tan bays and lunar gray dome.
CE
Olympus BH-2 / BHTU
LOMO BIOLAM L-2-2
LOMO Multiscope (Biolam)

lorez

#16 Post by lorez » Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:31 am

WOW !!! That's really an innovative design. I looked at the starting price and my mind immediately began to imagine what sort of microscope goodies I could get with those $$$$.$$.

lorez

Skyfog

#17 Post by Skyfog » Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:18 pm

Yikes! I've stumbled into a nest of Amateur Astronomers! :)
Dale: Nice set-up! If I had the room and fewer tress, I'd like to do something similar. I recognize the G-11; what is it carrying?
Just for the record, I use an Astro-Physics 6" Apo on a Celestron-branded G-11, still with a tripod -- no permanent installation yet.

Thanks to everyone for their comments.
--Skyfog

Skyfog

#18 Post by Skyfog » Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:23 pm

Dale wrote:Welcome from Seattle Skyfog. How do you prepare honey for pollen observation? Just smear and
scan? Stain with peanut butter?
Dale
Hi Dale,,, I don't get too fancy with the honey. No stain (but I'll give the PB a try :) ). Just a tiny drop on a cover slip, with a smaller cover slip on top; flip it over, and balsam it to a slide. Honey and balsam together ought to last until approximately the Heat Death of the Universe.
--Skyfog

charlie g

#19 Post by charlie g » Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:29 am

Hi again, skyfog...did you have a long wait to get you 6" Astro Physics? I purchased my 127mm f/8 Starfire with it's case and brochure and the accessories from it's original owner (who used it less than I do). So I jumped the wait list for my oil spaced triplet AP refractor.

Do you have the 6"/f9? all the best, charlie guevara ( who loves to use his SkyWatcher 6/f5 achro because of fear to use my AstroPhysics 5"..I last enjoyed the transit of Mercury, and a few comets with the AP..I use a HEQ 5 mount for either scope).
Last edited by charlie g on Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Skyfog

#20 Post by Skyfog » Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:45 pm

charlie g wrote:Hi again, skyfog...did you have a long wait to get you 6" Astro Physics? I purchased my 127mm f/8 Starfire with it's case and brochure and the accessories from it's original owner (who used it less than I do). So I jumped the wait list for my oil spaced triplet AP refractor.

Do you have the 6"/f9? all the best, charlie guevara ( who loves to use his SkyWatcher 6/f5 achro because of fear to use my AstroPhysics 5"..I last enjoyed the transit of Mercury, and a few comets with the AP..I use a HEQ mount for either scope).
Hi charlie g,,, I actually have one of the pre-Starfire 6-inch f/8 scopes. I bought it about 1989. Didn't have to wait too long for it, couple of months. Of course, that doesn't mean anything now. Originally it was on a Byers Model 58 mount, which I did have to wait a long time for, and which failed catastrophically after a couple of years of light use. But that's another chapter. :(

It's not a great scope for photography, but I sure love looking thru it. Unfortunately I haven't had it out for a quite a while.

--Skyfog