Brent from British Columbia

What is your microscopy history? What are your interests? What equipment do you use?
waiteb

Brent from British Columbia

#1 Post by waiteb » Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:49 pm

I have a iPhone X from work and am in the process of putting it to use as a benchtop light duty microscope to examine specimens (seeds and inert material in grain and cereal samples). I realize that there are lenses and lighting accessories also on the market, but would like to find advise and learn from others experience before purchasing anything for a trial. I need a tripod, lens to magnify up to 10X (or more if possible) and a portable lighting source (clip-on is best?).

Also, Oliver's YouTube video on the microscope adaptor for cell phones to a stereo microscope has 'hit the spot' for that application. I am in the process of proposing this adaptor for use.

Looking forward to all interaction/suggestions/referrals with others on this site.

****I am going to move this topic over to Microscopy and Optics now as it might be best addressed there****
Last edited by waiteb on Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Plasmid

Re: Brent from British Columbia

#2 Post by Plasmid » Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:46 am

For that particular application, I would recommend a stereo Microscope, 0.7-45, coupled with an 18$ phone mount for your Iphone and you should be able to take good pictures. A new $90 stereo will work just fine.
Or spend a bit more and make sure the stereo has a Trinocular head, although if you plan on using your phone for editing, sharing the pictures, the Trinocular is not necessary.
Avoid those parts that claim to turn your phone into a microscope.

Filmed and edited with a cheap $20 used stereo and an old Galaxy Note 4 camera
Last edited by Plasmid on Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

D0c

#3 Post by D0c » Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:58 am

Welcome to the forum.

I take all my video through a iphone X as well. As I don't have a trino head i have to remove an eyepiece and then place my iphone and adapter in the eyepiece slot then focus it but you do get used to it.

Look forward to your videos.
Leitz SM-Lux

MikeBradley

#4 Post by MikeBradley » Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:54 pm

Brent, I've sent you a Private Message
Michael
Olympus BH2,
AO110
Carl Zeiss Standard WL
Canon 90D

Shivs

#5 Post by Shivs » Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:50 am

Hi Brent,
I am new to microscopy and living in Burnaby. Nice to see a local already.

waiteb

From British Columbia

#6 Post by waiteb » Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:27 pm

I will add further clarity and detail:

The type of lens attachment/accessory I am looking to use on a cell phone would be the simple type - 2 I have looked at are by 'Moment' where the cell phone case has a screw in lens. Another is a clip-on model, see link below

https://www.amazon.ca/XENVO-Premium-iPh ... 183&sr=8-1

Keep in mind that I just want to be able to magnify specimens, like small seeds (poppyseed or a bit smaller) for ease of identification. So far I am concerned that the distance between the specimen and the lens might be no greater then 5 - 7mm when in clear focus (hence needing the tripod). This would not leave much room for some manipulation. Finally, a suggested light source, attachment if possible that would light the specimen to a minimal degree, and not get in the way.

I would like to get a referral to the attachments that have been tried and can be recommended. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Please advise

waiteb

#7 Post by waiteb » Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:37 pm

Plasmid wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:46 am
For that particular application, I would recommend a stereo Microscope, 0.7-45, coupled with an 18$ phone mount for your Iphone and you should be able to take good pictures. A new $90 stereo will work just fine.
Or spend a bit more and make sure the stereo has a Trinocular head, although if you plan on using your phone for editing, sharing the pictures, the Trinocular is not necessary.
Avoid those parts that claim to turn your phone into a microscope.

Filmed and edited with a cheap $20 used stereo and an old Galaxy Note 4 camera
Thank you for the comments!! Could you please elaborate on "Avoid those parts that claim to turn your phone into a microscope."

Can you also let me know if you have seen or have positive experiences with enhancing the magnification of a cellphones camera for magnification? I am trying to steer away from having to use the benchtop stereoscope for easy in the field work. Then , use the microscope for the tricky detail ID work.
Last edited by waiteb on Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

waiteb

#8 Post by waiteb » Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:38 pm

Shivs wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:50 am
Hi Brent,
I am new to microscopy and living in Burnaby. Nice to see a local already.
No problem, thanks,

dtsh

#9 Post by dtsh » Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:08 pm

waiteb wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:27 pm
I will add further clarity and detail:

The type of lens attachment/accessory I am looking to use on a cell phone would be the simple type - 2 I have looked at are by 'Moment' where the cell phone case has a screw in lens. Another is a clip-on model, see link below

https://www.amazon.ca/XENVO-Premium-iPh ... 183&sr=8-1

Keep in mind that I just want to be able to magnify specimens, like small seeds (poppyseed or a bit smaller) for ease of identification. So far I am concerned that the distance between the specimen and the lens might be no greater then 5 - 7mm when in clear focus (hence needing the tripod). This would not leave much room for some manipulation. Finally, a suggested light source, attachment if possible that would light the specimen to a minimal degree, and not get in the way.

I would like to get a referral to the attachments that have been tried and can be recommended. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Please advise
I don't have any experience with such lenses, but I have used a handheld lens with the phone for the same effect. If you just need a little more magnification and don't need a high quality image that would probably suffice and be the most expedient for a quick check of something in the field.
waiteb wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:27 pm
Can you also let me know if you have seen or have positive experiences with enhancing the magnification of a cellphones camera for magnification? I am trying to steer away from having to use the benchtop stereoscope for easy in the field work. Then , use the microscope for the tricky detail ID work.
I had presumed a desire for more detailed examination for which I think a stereo would be desired, but for quick use in the field I think you're on the right track. I a little time at youtube looking for "cell phone macro lens" might help you decide if it's what you need.

waiteb

#10 Post by waiteb » Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:53 pm

Thanks for the suggestion. I have spent quite a bit of time already on YouTube and Amazon. There seems to be way too many choices. I wanted to narrow down the search by getting pointers from those who already have gained some experiences with these accessories:

Attachable Macro lens
Light source

I would hope to choose a lens and light source that attach to the phone and would give some magnification.

Placozoa

#11 Post by Placozoa » Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:17 pm

waiteb wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:37 pm

Thank you for the comments!! Could you please elaborate on "Avoid those parts that claim to turn your phone into a microscope."
I think most people here would be hoping to add the smartphone to the eyepiece or camera tube, in which case these are not the right ones.

If someone really did want to do away with the microscope altogether, the results will be disappointing. With only a few exceptions they will be turning thier phone into a toy microscope and not a hobby microscope. In other words lots of empty magnification (blurry) and massive chromatic aberration (big rainbows around everything). Such an unsatisfactory result would simply turn people off of microscopy and cant be recommended.

For the exceptions the drawbacks are: expensive, as costly as a microscope; would not be able to add anything, like darkfield or filters or objectives that would allow different comprimises in resolution, chromatic aberration, and working distance. Again its tough to recommend someone take this path as anything other than a costly experiment.

For only a little magnification, nothing fancy is needed, I guess thats the point to just using a hand lens.

I have no first hand experience with cellphone camera lenses myself, but olivers advice is usually pretty good and he recommends just getting an "almost toy", small, battery powered, cheap microscope for around $100 and using that. For cell phone to microscope adapters, there seems to be one that wim van egmond uses thats pricey ($200) but sharp, and a myriad of ones that just hold the phone at the right spot ($15). Thats my take on the situation, I would welcome any disagreement, however.