Very interested in the microscopic world and back at college

What is your microscopy history? What are your interests? What equipment do you use?
FireNIceFly

Very interested in the microscopic world and back at college

#1 Post by FireNIceFly » Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:28 pm

Hello all,

I've just started back at college after many years out of education, last course I did was a Business Management Degree I finished in 2007. I've now stared an access to science course so I can go back to university. As well as loving the microscopic world, I'm also passionate about observing the universe with a telescope. I find both sides of the scale very interesting because they're both sides you often can't see without the aid of such equipment. I'm also very much into photography as well, I love macrophotography, along with astrophotography and soon hopefully microphotography.

I'm now looking at buying a my first professional style microscope but not completely sure what I'm looking for to make sure I get the right kind for me. I will be using it for both college studies and for personal hobby use and imaging.

Anyway, that's a little about myself :)

FireNIceFly

Re: Very interested in the microscopic world and back at college

#2 Post by FireNIceFly » Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:51 am

I forgot to say that I'm from the UK :D

Rapidray

#3 Post by Rapidray » Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:28 pm

Welcome to the forum.
OMAX M83

westy

#4 Post by westy » Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:47 pm

Welcome fellow UK'er!

Sounds like we have similar interests! :)
Ben

Rossf

#5 Post by Rossf » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:37 pm

Greetings FireNIceFly-totally agree about the two magnification extremes being equally fascinating-haven’t delved into astronomy myself but worked on a biodynamic farm and the farmer was obsessed with the stars and had a huge scope-one night he showed me Saturn and though it was tiny through the telescope you could just make out the rings-blew my mind!
Regards ross

PeteM

#6 Post by PeteM » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:46 pm

Feel free to send a PM (once you have enough posts) if you'd like me to email you a PDF of a guide to microscope brands and models. Our UK members will likely have a better idea of which ones are available and affordable in your area.

Given your interest in photography, you'll likely want something with a trinocular head.

Greg Howald

#7 Post by Greg Howald » Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:49 am

Hi. Welcome.
A couple of thoughts concerning a professional scope.
Finite or infinite optics.
Infinite optics can cost twice as much as finite.
I prefer finite because you can make an extension tube for it and increase magnification. With infinite optics and extension tube does nothing.
I bought an Amscope B660 professional finite scope. It is the only model of professional finite scope they have.
It cost about $450. A comparable infinite scope is the B670. Same body. Same frame. Same size. But the infinite optics added $300 to the price at the time. The difference may be a little more or less now but you get the picture. Good luck in choosing
Greg

westy

#8 Post by westy » Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:42 pm

PeteM wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:46 pm
Given your interest in photography, you'll likely want something with a trinocular head.
As someone who also has an SLR, This is already hurting me. I bought the binocular version of my scope and a 5MP eyepiece camera and while it works.. it's nowhere close to what's achievable with even just an iphone down the eyepiece and a bit of patience!

Defo go for the trinocular version of your chosen scope and an SLR adapter if you can afford the additional expnse!
Ben